Creating Hyperlinks in form based on ID (1 Viewer)

Deferet

Local time
Today, 04:03
I'm working on a database for work and there is a need to be able to open PDF files linked to clients in our database. For security reasons we have our database on a secured server and we use a remote desktop to log into our database, this also helps prevent people from making changes that they shouldn't or snooping around where they shouldn't.

We store PDF files on the server using the unique Claim ID generated in Access, however We also use the person's name as well. What I would like to do is have an access form generate a hyperlink directly to all the files linked to the claim, and I've been able to get a link to generate with the Claim ID, but I have not been able to get a wildcard symbol to work.

Is there something I'm missing? Am I using the wrong wildcard symbol? Am I even able to use a wildcard symbol in this instance?

An example of what I'm doing is this: "D:\My File Path" & [ClaimID] & * & "" & [ClaimID] & *

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:03
Add a debug.Print line to see what the output actually is.
A common problem in code like this is a missing backslash between the folder name & the file name

Not sure why you need [ClaimID] twice.
Do you need to provide the filetype PDF

Your wildcards are wrong

Try "D:\My File Path" & [ClaimID] & "*" & [ClaimID] & "*"

or "D:\My File Path" & [ClaimID] & "" & "*" & [ClaimID] & "*"

or similar

If these don't help, can you provide a couple of examples of what it should look like

e.g. D:\My File Path\1234\ABC1234.pdf

EDIT:
Just noticed its your first post. Welcome to AWF

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom