Training Database Assistance (1 Viewer)

bdmang83

Local time
Today, 02:29
Hello,

I have been tasked with setting up a database to track employee training. The easy stuff is to track completed trainings by employee. Additionally I need to be able to track the status of required training by both department or job class. My inital table structure is:

tblEmp
pkEmpID
LastName
FirstName
DepttID
JobClassID

tblTraining
pkTrainID
Topic
ReqDept
ReqClass

tblTrainDetails
pkID
fkTrainID
fkEmpID
DtCompleted

Where I am stuck is how to best query for training that has not been completed but is required for an employee based on either department or job class.

I appreciate any suggestions and if I can get this put together will gladly share the db as an example.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

JamesMcS

Keyboard-Chair Interface
Local time
Today, 08:29
Hmmm if it was me I'd left join tblEmp and tblTraining with DeptID, jobclassID joining to ReqDept and Reqclass, pull down names, reqdept and reqclass and criteria for the last two being null. That will pull back all the unmatched records... is that what you need?

bdmang83

Local time
Today, 02:29
James,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that and see what happens.

Thanks,

Brian

miahmacdougal

Local time
Today, 00:29
Good evening Brian,

Were you able to get your database to work the way you wanted?

Miah

miahmacdougal

Local time
Today, 00:29
Actually, there is a method to my madness; I am hoping he says yes, then I will ask to see what he has. :D

I am trying to develop a required/optional training tracking database for multiple positions that have multiple tasks, and I need a way to track and add both the completed time, and a portion of each training time (including safety meetings); once the time hits a set amount (8 hours), it will notify me so that I can issue a training certificate. If they start coming up to a years time without hitting the required 8 hours, then it needs to alert me.

Old Man Devin

Consul Of Code
Local time
Today, 08:29
Very sneaky!

That does sound quite possible to me; if you made some queries that only returned people with TrainingTime>8 hours then you'd have a list of people to certify for example. Similar for the alert, you could have query of people for whom Now-StartDate > 10 months And TrainingTime < 8 Hours.

Wiz47

Learning by inches ...
Local time
Today, 03:29
Very sneaky!

That does sound quite possible to me; if you made some queries that only returned people with TrainingTime>8 hours then you'd have a list of people to certify for example. Similar for the alert, you could have query of people for whom Now-StartDate > 10 months And TrainingTime < 8 Hours.

I use a query in my training db that selects those that are within 60 days of needed training. In this case EEO which is required annually. I then only send a notice to those that have not been previously notified via a previous report.

Code:
SELECT Employees.*
FROM Employees
WHERE ((([MTEEO]+305)<TrngDate())) AND NotifiedMTEEO = "No"
ORDER BY Div_Branch, LastName, FirstName;

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:29
I am trying to develop a required/optional training tracking database for multiple positions that have multiple tasks,..

When you deal with training for Positions do you consider the people within those Positions?

People have Training; Positions can have Mandatory Training requirements; Person can be in a Position where Person doesn't have requisite Training...

Attached is jpg used with another post where the above issue was key. This may not be relevant to your situation, but I offer it for consideration only.

Attachments

• EmployeesAndPositions_V0.jpg
    EmployeesAndPositions_V0.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 336

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom