INFO: Using Access on a Windows tablet (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:34
I have a Windows tablet with a 10 inch screen (Linx 1010) on which I have installed Access 2010.
Although Access isn't designed for touch screens (hopefully it will be in the future), it works well with one important exception.
The VBE opens with no menu bar or toolbars.
This limits its use for editing code significantly.

The code window, object browser & project explorer windows are all displayed and I've added the Immediate window using CtrL+G but want full functionality

After several fruitless hours adding code in the Immediate window to try & trigger the menu bar & toolbars to appear, uninstalling & reinstalling, I found the answer by trial & error - its a tablet mode issue

Switch off tablet mode and the menu bar & toolbars appear
Switch it back on & they're still in place whilst Access remains open.
Restart Access in tablet mode & they're gone again
A very irritating glitch but at least I have a work-round
I have reported this via the Feedback hub.

Last edited:

Zydeceltico

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:34
Have there been advances in technology since your original post?

I work in a manufacturing environment. Our QC database is in Access. The BE is on a network server. I and one other QC guy are the only ones who have front ends on our desktops.

We would very much like to be able to do our work in the shop on tablets - and it would likely be best to be touch screen. Our only other option is carting laptops around which negates some of the more robust uses we would like to perform.

The tablets would function solely as front-ends for data collection.

Do I have any options? It would also need to be rugged.

Thanks,

Tim

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:34
I don't know if tablets have evolved since my post.
I think the MS Surface are about top of the range but very expensive.
I don't know if they are more rugged.

I still have to disable tablet mode to view the VBE toolbar.

I'm still using the same tablet every day (around 2years old now) and its still working perfectly.
I answer most forum posts (including this one) using it and look at most of the downloaded Access apps on the tablet in touch screen mode without connecting the portable keyboard that came with it.
Mostly that works fine.

However, in some cases, the database design makes tablet use impossible.
For example, if the controls are small and close together.
Similarly if the forms are maximised with no nav pane or ribbon.
Whilst that works fine in a completed database, its a total PITA when trying to fix the OP's problems.

Do bear in mind that if the tablet is wirelessly connected to a backend database, you WILL get corruption issues. You need to plan ways around that e.g. Download data to the tablet, do your data collection locally, then plug in to the network and upload the new or changed data.

BTW the plugin portable keyboard that i bought with my tablet is good but very heavy and bulky. It is certainly rugged but makes carrying the tablet less pleasurable due to the extra weight and bulk.

Hope some of that is helpful

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom