Lookup List of Values depending on a previous lookup list (1 Viewer)

ds3010

Local time
Yesterday, 23:41
Hello, I'm completely new to Access so this might sound a little too newbee for you. Well, here it goes. I'm creating a simple database for a competition. Participants are awarded points every time they do a certain volunteer job. My fields are the ID primary key, Last Name, First Name, Volunteer Job, Participation, Date and Points Earned. The Volunteer Job Field is a list of look-up values that I just created.

The issue is that "participation" should be a list of values but they directly depend on the volunteer job. This is that for example if I scroll down the Volunteer Job option and I choose let's say: "Newspaper", I want the "Participation" field to automatically show another look-up list with "Wrote an article; provided a tip for an article; volunteered for one hour". And every time I choose a different Volunteer Job from the drop-down list I created, the "Participation" field should show the appropriate list of options depending on the Job I chose.

Any ideas would be very appreciated thanks.
P.D: I'm not that much into SQL, so if the solution is typing commands in the row source property please help me out.

Best Regards

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You shouldn't use lookups at the table level.
http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

If that isn't what you're doing, you may want to search for Cascading Comboboxes which is what I think you're asking about.

ds3010

Local time
Cascading Combo Boxes!!! that's exactly what I'm looking for!!! thank you that's a great start. Now I will start looking up through the internet and learn how to do it. If you could please send me good links about that so I can understand how to do it that'd be awesome. Thanks again.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:41
Did my link not work?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:41
Happy to help.