Microsoft has made it so that Windows 8 approved PC can only run Windows 8 (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 01:02
Seems that Microsoft is busy "locking" computers into Windows. Ostensibly, Microsoft is a software company yet they are "forcing" hardware manufactures to configure PCs so that they will be limited to Window 8. This story is covered in the June 10, 2012 issue of ZDNET.

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols writes: "The fly in the soup is that by default only Windows 8 will run on these systems, so no Linux, no BSD, heck, no Windows XP for that matter. ... And, in the meantime, all the Linux desktop vendors are going to have to address the UEFI issue. By year's end, many, if not most, mass-market PCs are going to be sold with Windows 8 and that in turn will mean there's no easy way to boot them into Linux. "

Though the story involves Linux, it is really a story of one company (Microsoft) using its corporate power to frustrate the owner of a PC to manage their PC as they see fit. There are several links at the bottom of the story. In following the links; the news only gets more depressing.:banghead:

Even the Washington Posts notes that: "Windows Phone 8: No support for current devices"

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:02
Surely that's going to be viewed as anti competitive behaviour and end up in the courts before too long.

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Today, 06:02
i dont see anything wrong with this, after all, it's not like Windows is gonna crash or...........:eek::banghead: Its the old question. Do 85% of computers run windows because people want them to or because 85% of people don't know any other OS exists (when was the last time you saw a TV ad for another OS?)

@JBB, yep, i see the lawyers circling already :D

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:02
I have been told that it is just a matter of getting the OS registered somehow thus showing up on the approved list for the hardware.
While I don't know what the cost is, I got the impression that is was pretty cheap.

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:02
I was going to ask how they were going to manage that with x68 machines, cos surely flashing the BIOS would get rid of that feature if present (providing AMI or Phoenix provide an alternative) but I guess my question was answer in the Zdnet link

TBF, MS arent stupid (well maybe a little) but that not that stupid

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
It sounds like they aren't doing anything different than any other company. They are making it so machines meant to run their software, I.E., Windows Tablets, only run Windows. Of course, they are sure to be beaten by hackers and crackers just like every other one of these devices, and they actually don't mind. If the devices are jailbroken, then they sell more. This is why they never went after sites that traded roms of their previous Windows-based phones. They actually released a press release statement that said they had no intentions of going after anyone releasing mobile roms (at the time.) Gee, I wonder why...

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 22:02
My pickup truck was made by Ford to run only on gasoline... would this also be viewed as anti competitive behaviour? Perhaps I would like to run my truck on deisel or ethanol or electricity or hydrogen...

Vassago

Local time
Nope, not the same. It would be more like Ford building it to only use Chevron gas. No BP or Cigto allowed.

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
x68? I think you mean x86, right? :D

:eek:

I think there a lot of misunderstanding going on just now with Win8, given they are effectively going to a have 2 versions for the different architectures, it can be a bit confusing. Plus the whole ARM trusted zones is where I think people are thinking the system is going to be locked down as per the OP's suggestion.

Vassago

Local time
:eek:

I think there a lot of misunderstanding going on just now with Win8, given they are effectively going to a have 2 versions for the different architectures, it can be a bit confusing. Plus the whole ARM trusted zones is where I think people are thinking the system is going to be locked down as per the OP's suggestion.

But that still does not apply to x86 systems.

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
But that still does not apply to x86 systems.

Thats the point Im making, the ARM version will probably be locked down but the X86 ones will be like any other pc compliant system

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
Saying that, anyone ever tried to remove Vista from a Dell laptop, nightmare, I tried using an XP disk as suggested by MS, then tried 2k, still wouldnt shift it, I even resorted to using UBCD4 for Win and I still couldnt get rid. Ended up putting on Ubuntu just to get rid of Vista and then dual booted with XP.

All the MS products just wouldnt let me remove Vista (which is probably up there with ME as the worst OS's ever built)

Vassago

Local time
Vista is up there with ME as one of the worst OS ever built. I agree. Couldn't you have just wiped the hard drive by booting into DOS or using a boot disk such as the Ultimate Boot CD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If you don't have this tool in your collection, I highly recommend it. It has tools for diagnostics, formatting, etc... and it's free.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
A couple of additional thoughts.

The Microsoft "customer" is now the corporate client. Even though, as individuals, we can buy PCs, I do not think that Microsoft considers individuals as their "customers" anymore.

One of the most irritating aspects of Windows is the inability to boot into Windows from the (used to be) supplied CD. Essentially, this precludes you from fixing your computer. Or in the case of having to replace a hard drive, from even re-installing Windows.

One of the really beneficial features of Linux is the ability to run Linux from a "live" CD. In my case I have used UBUNTU. The use of the live CD allows you to explore the hard drive. It also gives you the capability to save your work by transferring your files from the "broken" un-bootable Windows computer to another computer before wiping the hard drive and doing a re-install of Windows.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Vista is up there with ME as one of the worst OS ever built. I agree. Couldn't you have just wiped the hard drive by booting into DOS or using a boot disk such as the Ultimate Boot CD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If you don't have this tool in your collection, I highly recommend it. It has tools for diagnostics, formatting, etc... and it's free.

I would love to be able to have something like this, but the only Windows 8 PC that I have left crashed with disk errors and I do not have any way to check the disk for reason of failure.

I can take it to a repair shop that will gladly tell me for a cost of about $179 American, either that they can reformat it for me, or that I will need a new Disk Drive for a cost of about $159 American. Hardly makes sense to me.

I have been told that what I need, and do not have is a Windows 8.1 boot disk of some type.

-- Rookie

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:02
I just yank the hard drive and connect via an adapter that lets me plug it into a USB port and explore the drive from some other PC. It won't help if the drive is broken, but will if Windows is bad on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom