SQL Issue? (1 Viewer)

Learn2010

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:16
I was included in a project where an outside vendor was brought in to set up a SQL Server backend for an Access database I developed. Since it has been running, all my Access databases are really slow, with some of them not even wanting to close. I have developed several other Access databases with Access back-ends on a network drive. None of the other users are having this issue.

Is there something I can do to stop this from happening?

Thank you.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
How was this project organized? Who was project lead? Who set up the contract?Who was responsible for testing and acceptance? Seems there is more involved than the small piece you have mentioned.
Somebody has to accept the system/database or something and it should have met the "acceptance criteria" before sign off. At least that's how we did things when third party consultant/programmer/designer was involved.

What exactly do you want to STOP happening?

Last edited:

Learn2010

Registered User.
Local time
I understand all that. The problem seems to be that somehow SQL is holding my resources in some manner and I need it to let go.

Learn2010

Registered User.
Local time
In answer to your questions, read this.

How was this project organized? By people that had no part in the outcome.

Who was project lead? A guy that had no part in the outcome or set up and testing.

Who set up the contract? A Supervisor that had no idea what was going on, but had a deadline to meet, which became my deadline.

Who was responsible for testing and acceptance? Two people that had no part in the outcome, myself, and two users that never got to use it. After it was supposedly finished, it was handed over to me, and I was supposed to manage it.

Seems there is more involved than the small piece you have mentioned. Yes there is.

Now, do you know why SQL would lock up my programs or don't you?

Thank you.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't know why your database is acting as it is, but here is a link to performance tips that you can check.

Do you know if there is appropriate indexing on fields? Sequential reads can be a nightmare in any dbms.
Do you have test data to identify any specific function/procedure...?
Have you tied putting some comments/messages re "in this procedure at time..." and done any analysis?
Have you had any network or sql server people check any of their monitoring tools?
Did this particular database ever run faster than it is currently? If so, what changed?
Has anyone talked to the third party developers for ideas/suggestions?

This may be relevant, you can see what others have experienced/done.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom