Ms Outlook Reading Pane (1 Viewer)

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:49
I have several folders in ms outlook which i would like to turn their reading pane option to "off", however according to the outlook help files this has to be done on each folder individually.

Does anyone knows of a "trick" which can change this setting to all folders at once rather than going through them one by one?

Thank You

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
2 ways to do this:

1) Go to view > current view > define view then Messages
with autopreview, choose modify > other settings, at the bottom of that screen uncheck the box that says show preview pane.

not sure if this works with all version of Outlook or

2) Add a /nopreview switch on your shortcut or exe.

More here for 2003 if your interested. ;)

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi Minkey,

Many thanks for your reply. Actually I had already tried your first suggestion but in my office 2003 it just works for 1 folder.

The link you offered me is extremely useful (thanks) and the switch did the trick. However, is there a way how can i include that switch on the outlook icon because i do did run it from the command line and worked, but when i click the shortcut on my desktop the pane still returns.

Thanks

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
mmm it should work if you right click on the icon and go to properties and add the switch in the target field (remember the space ;))

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
that's what i thought but when going to the properties of the outlook icon, the target is dimmed i.e. disabled and it has written "Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003"

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Odd did you let the installer create the shortcut ? If so (well try this anyway) create a new one, do a right click > copy on the actual exe (say from the All Programs menu or from the actual folder on your hard drive) Paste as shortcut and edit it once you've done that.

Or you could setup a new shortcut manually right click on the desktop > new etc.

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
creating the shortcut and entering the target manually did the trick :)

i wonder why in the outlook help file it says:

With the exception of options set in the Reading Pane dialog box (on the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Reading Pane button on the Other tab) changes to the Reading Pane cannot be made globally and must be made to each folder individually.

Thanks Minkey

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
No problem :)

i wonder why in the outlook help file it says:

Remember this is Microsoft they make their software with the 'average' user in mind, the problem with the reading pane is it's a great feature for those users "oh look I only need to highlight my e-mail and I can read it, great" yep all well and good until you get something dodgy ;)

Editing a command line or shortcut target they think is too difficulty for average users and destroys the easy to use functionality of their software.

They take approach of let make all these functions easy and transparent to use (as default) then users don't complain, the problem is that 'opening up' the software or an O/S (look at Vista vs XP security for an example - complaints about the UAC in Vista - that you have to allow admin access in Vista but in XP you didn't because you are a full admin by default) make it easy to use ;)

Anyway that's for a different discussion - glad your sorted

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom