Using the LIKE operator in a Where clause (1 Viewer)

Joshann

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:55
Apparently, the LIKE operator does not work in the Where clause of an access web app macro. Does anyone know an alternative?

The following statement does work: [debtor name] = [txtDebtorName] but if I change the clause as follows, I get an error message: [debtor name] LIKE [txtDebtorName]

Can anyone help with this?

Joshann

Registered User.
Local time
like requires asterisk wildcards.

Thanks, but using asterisk wildcards does not work either.
The following statement does work: [debtor name] = "*" + [txtDebtorName] + "*" but if I change the clause as follows, I get an error message: [debtor name] LIKE "*" + [txtDebtorName] + "*"

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 12:55
The web page does not indicate that "*" is a valid wildcard. What if you change it to "%" as indicated? Also, you might need to use the "&" as your string concatenation character rather than "+" for the expression not to fail for null values.
hth

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't think you should be getting an error even without wildcards. Please post the entire SQL and a screen shot of the error message.

Joshann

Registered User.
Local time
I don't think you should be getting an error even without wildcards. Please post the entire SQL and a screen shot of the error message.

I agree. How do I insert a screen shot here?

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
If you just upload the image that would be good enough but if you want to insert it in the post you can read how here.

To create an image from a screen shot I usually just open Paint after pressing PrtScn and click on the paste button, crop it and save it as as JPEG.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:55
which wild card you should use depends on the backend.

Non ANSI92 Access uses * (the default position), ANSI92 Access, sql server and oracle use % for example

and if you are using ADODB, the initial wildcard is not allowed

Joshann

Registered User.
Local time
Since my original post, I have made some progress. I am no longer getting an error message in my Access Web App, I am getting an error message in SharePoint. Now, the error message I get in SharePoint is: "Where clauses must contain at least one field reference that includes the table name. For example, "Contacts.Email". You may have specified the field name without a table name, which will resolve to the field's current value."

I have attached a screen shot of the where clause that is giving me trouble.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 193

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:55
I don't use macros, web apps or sharepoint, so will drop out at this point. Parting shot is your where clause does not look right to me. I would expect

[tablename].[Debtor Name] Like "%" & [txtDebtorName] & "%"

or

[tablename].[Debtor Name] Like '%' & [txtDebtorName] & '%'

per the link previously provided

but perhaps with macro's, web apps and/or sharepoint it is different

Joshann

Registered User.
Local time
I don't use macros, web apps or sharepoint, so will drop out at this point. Parting shot is your where clause does not look right to me. I would expect

[tablename].[Debtor Name] Like "%" & [txtDebtorName] & "%"

or

[tablename].[Debtor Name] Like '%' & [txtDebtorName] & '%'

per the link previously provided

but perhaps with macro's, web apps and/or sharepoint it is different

Thanks anyway for trying. I tried that, and unfortunately, I still get the same error message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom