Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Gaming

Old 02-19-2015, 05:49 AM   #16
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough
Re: Are games a fun source of Information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-atkinson View Post
Ive thought about playing EVE is it any good?
Yes and no. It's the sandbox game to end all sandbox games, so it's basically what you make of it.

To start with, to cover all the things the haters will hit you with: the UI sucks beyond belief, the game's learning curve is more of a learning cliff, and the auto-generated missions are repetitive and not very challenging. The players can and will scam you at the drop of a hat, and unless they actually hack or exploit the game, the devs are fine with it. (Exception - scamming newbies in newbie areas leads to instant bans.) You absolutely can lose your ship and everything on it permanently, leading to the rule 'Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.' Finally, people think that sticking to 'high security' space will protect them from other players, but all it really does is guarantee faster NPC police response time and guarantee the destruction of the attacking player - it doesn't help keep YOU alive unless you can survive the 15-60 seconds it takes Concord to arrive. Oh, and there's a TON of math underlying the game, but you don't actually need to know it unless you want to play at the absolute highest level.

Still with me?

EVE is a game where they literally go "Here's a universe, here are some blueprints, knock yourself out." You can do anything the game engine will allow you to. There are people who do nothing but run NPC missions all day, people who mine all day (which I find boring beyond comprehension), and people who hide out just outside safe space, ambushing them and living off the scavenged remains. Farther outside, in completely open space, you find organized groups of players (corporations (guilds) and alliances (guilds of guilds)) who claim, control, and protect large areas of space, complete with production and defensive facilities. These alliances are always warring, sometimes for resources and sometimes for the fun of it.

You can be a pirate, a fighter for an alliance, you can run missions or mine, you can focus on industry and building stuff, there are people who just haul things for people, and people who do nothing but work the market and make money.

Training is odd - skills come in ranks, and every skill has 5 levels. Low ranked skills have short training times, and the time to learn a skill is multiplied by the level you're training to, meaning Battleshiops 5 takes 5 times as long to learn as Battleships 1. Beginner skills might take 15 minutes to learn, while endgame skills can take a month. Also, skills train in real time, so there's no grinding for them. As long as the account is active, one character can have skills training. (It sounds bad, but you stop worrying about it and start looking at skill completion as a bonus rather than something you're actively working toward.)

EVE has had scandals where someone who spent two years running an in-game bank stole everything in it (to the tune of a couple hundred thousand dollars' worth of in-game money). There was one where a corp infiltrated, took over, and robbed another corp, culminating in the virtual assassination of the CEO and the eventual disintegration of the corp. There was one every summer when Goonswarm sent fleets into "high security" (read - NPC protected) space to destroy neutral mining ships.

There was a two year long war (the Great War) between Goonswarm and allies vs Band of Brothers and allies, involving perhaps 20k to 30k players and costing hundreds of thousands of dollars of in-game ships and structures, and was so big that there were articles about it in the New York Times. There was a follow-up two year war between the same crowd (The Second Great War) that ended in the utter annihilation of Band of Brothers after a leader switched sides and intentionally destroyed their claim to controlled territory.

There are battles between one person on each side, and battles with several thousand on each side. A battle less than a month ago resulted in 2900 destroyed ships and a total destroyed value of $300,000. (The cost to purchase and outfit a battleship, converted to real money, is around $5-$10.)

So it can be really really fun or it can be really really boring - it's up to you and what you like, honestly.

Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frothingslosh For This Useful Post:
makonvict (02-19-2015), scott-atkinson (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #17
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Oh, I forgot to mention that in EVE, literally everything save a few of the most basic items is built by players. The 2900 ships I mentioned? All player-made. Some of them can take up to 6 MONTHS real time to build.

And the scenery is awe-inspiring.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:15 AM   #18
ConnorGiles
Strange Traveller

ConnorGiles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by makonvict View Post
In our hectic, modern lives, many of us focus so heavily on work and family commitments that we never seem to have time for pure fun. Somewhere between childhood and adulthood, we’ve stopped playing. When we do carve out some leisure time, we're more likely to zone out in front of the TV or computer than engage in fun, rejuvenating play like we did as children. But just because we’re adults, that doesn't mean we have to take ourselves so seriously and make life all about work. We all need to play.
Well said makonvict, Very well said.

Connor Giles

Did my post help?
Then don't hesitate to press the 'Thanks' Button or the Scales to the left!
ConnorGiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #19
ConnorGiles
Strange Traveller

Deleted comment here too

Luckily I captured him in my quote

Connor Giles

Did my post help?
Old 02-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #20
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Yeah, I just checked his profile and he's gone from 8 posts (last I looked) to zero. *shrug*
Old 02-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #21
ConnorGiles
Strange Traveller

at least you retain that thanks he gave you on your EVE post

Connor Giles

Did my post help?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:44 AM   #22
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Hmm...also, regarding EVE, this happened:

http://www.themittani.com/news/rip-vile-rat

Yes, that was my corp, and yes, I knew him.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #23
ConnorGiles
Strange Traveller

Very sad to hear Hope his family is managing okay 2 years after.

Isn't it weird how people be it virtual or physical make such a big impact that we remember them. (Not close relations but on games and so forth).

I have a friend on social media who I met through my World of Warcraft days (she was my guild leader and a good one at that.) and every time I see her on social media it takes me back to the days when I used to play and I reminisce in these memories with a smile planted firmly on my face.

Friendship is a powerful thing indeed. Especially through the form of gaming.

Connor Giles

Did my post help?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #24
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

They probably are.

I've got all sorts of things I want to say, but they're political and therefore not for this thread; instead I'll just say that one of the absolute best friends I've ever met was made through gaming. He was my guildleader in EverQuest, and to this day, 17 years later, we remain in constant touch, even with me back in Michigan and him in Hong Kong. Never have met face-to-face, though. Just lots of ICQ conversations about our respective plans to conquer the world.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #25
ConnorGiles
Strange Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothingslosh View Post
They probably are.

I've got all sorts of things I want to say, but they're political and therefore not for this thread; instead I'll just say that one of the absolute best friends I've ever met was made through gaming. He was my guildleader in EverQuest, and to this day, 17 years later, we remain in constant touch, even with me back in Michigan and him in Hong Kong. Never have met face-to-face, though. Just lots of ICQ conversations about our respective plans to conquer the world.
Isn't it astonishing how friendships can be so strong without ever seeing that person face to face. It truly does astonish me.

My Uncle met his wife (7 Years married this year) on World of Warcraft. (Went on it Monday, My has it changed).

They met through their guild and had constant chats (yadayada) and end game, they live on a farm in Scotland together with 2 little girls .

Lovely to hear those kinds of stories

Connor Giles

Did my post help?
Old 08-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #26
Stevendavis
Newly Registered User

Stevendavis is on a distinguished road

Yes games are only source for entertainment , agree with this topic

Stevendavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: