Web hosting (2 Viewers)

spacepro

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:26
Dave,

Do a bit of research if you can on the webhost before signing up?

Create a support ticket or use there online resources to see what response times you get when they reply to your query.

Check out there community forum, if they have one?

Maybe also check out - www.webhostingtalk.com, a very good resource within the web hosting community and do a search on the forum or sign up and ask the members there to see if anyone has had any dealings with them.

Check out there uptime status of there servers, any good webhost will display there server status reports. It's no good the hosting be cheap if the servers are down all of the time, as this will cause frustration for you and any end user customers if this is for business purposes.

Also check out there Terms and Conditions or Acceptable Use Policy.

If you do decide not to go with the host you have specified, drop me a PM and I will email you a webhost who I use that are excellent and there support is second to none with a community base where there is plenty of help.

Hope this helps you before you make the decision.

HTH
Andy

emartel

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:26
depends what you are doing, but www.redstation.co.uk gives you 1 year free hosting if you buy the domain name through them. I find they are excellent for support response & up time and their control panels are really good to navigate. only problem is I assume you are not in the UK, so if you wanted telephone support it would cost you an arm & a leg

meanster99

Meum cerebrum nocet!
Local time
Today, 16:26
I too have used redstation and have found them very good. The free hosting is good enough for home/small business sites (a very good 1Gb webspace), but beware it doesnt support MS Frontpage extensions (unless you upgrade to the business account - £99). The other consideration is bandwidth - I don't know what the redstation bandwidth limits are (if any) but i have never exceeded any with a small personal website.

I have designed a couple of other sites and have hosted them with http://www.freevirtualservers.com . They are very cheap (around £50 a year - although as the name suggests they do offer a free hosting option) with excellent control panel which includes loads of free stuff. they include MS FPSE as standard and also have several scripts included. They have high bandwidth limits and the uptime seems to be very good. they have a ticket help system aswell as phone which is all reasonably prompt. All in all I found them to be one of the best options out there (I did a fair bit or research).

IMO most important considerations :

Cost
Bandwidth limits
Scripts/Extensions supported
Uptime guarantee
Control panel
Help/Customer service

good luck!

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:26
After reading alot about hosting and server sites...

Why are there so many Australian web hosting companies that are cheap?

Sadly for many disappointed clients, there are many very small web hosting companies that are run part time by a single owner/operator on the internet. Many of these very small web hosting companies re-sell cheap web hosting space they rent from overseas, usually America. They have low overheads, as they only rent their hardware/software, and do not pay data centre fees. You cannot usually ring these companies, as they do not have an office. They operate on an email basis only, often out of a bedroom. These webhosts usually only have a PO Box address, and no street address, and respond to email only.

... and decided to go with an Australian host as this is where the majority of my marketing will be aimed.

So far...

http://www.predatorsoftware.com.au

Thanks for the feedback,

Dave

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:26
After reading alot about hosting and server sites...

Why are there so many Australian web hosting companies that are cheap?

Sadly for many disappointed clients, there are many very small web hosting companies that are run part time by a single owner/operator on the internet. Many of these very small web hosting companies re-sell cheap web hosting space they rent from overseas, usually America. They have low overheads, as they only rent their hardware/software, and do not pay data centre fees. You cannot usually ring these companies, as they do not have an office. They operate on an email basis only, often out of a bedroom. These webhosts usually only have a PO Box address, and no street address, and respond to email only.

... and decided to go with an Australian host as this is where the majority of my marketing will be aimed.

So far...

http://www.predatorsoftware.com.au

Thanks for the feedback,

Dave

master072509

Local time
re: hosting

Shared Hosting & Reseller Hosting

personally, i use www.host100gb.com and www.1and1.com

they are fast and a good deal.

it include a domain name, 100Gb of web space, 20 email addresses, 2GB of mailbox space per account, 100 MySQL databases, 100 email aliases, photo galleries builder, web builder, blog and rss capabilities, firewall protextion, etc....

and that is only the beginner package at $4 a month. Go up to $5 a month, and get 100Gb of space, 1200 email accounts, 2 domain names, host many other websites there as well, 25 MySQL databases, etc. etc. etc....

they are the best deal i think. I've used them to host over 65-70 web sites.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 11:26
Anything I should be looking out for when looking for a web host?

This seems good value to me:

http://www.mdwebhosting.com.au/webhosting/budget/

Any thoughts?

Dave

this is incredible late to give input here, but i have go-daddy.com and that's cheap enough for me. in my opinion too, to be able to get a website for less than $20 a month at the LEAST is putting the world in a terrible place for the hope for prosperity. let us remember that people are getting poorer and poorer everyday because the majority of people in this world are out to earn a buck and don't give a single solitary hoot about the next person. it's all about ME. sadly, it will never stop....but cheapening ANYTHING cuts prosperity's throat, but I guess none of the "smart" leaders out there see that until it's too late, huh? what a shame... :rolleyes:

Jamie Mitchell

Local time
Hi there,
I personally use Host gator for my website; I found it is an efficient and reliable web hosting service provider. It has excellent features like Good uptime, Fast speed, and affordability. I like their customer support and technical services. One of the tutorials that I refer to SimpleWebsiteTutorials.com provides some great deals and guidelines about how to host a website, choose hosting plans and more.

Charl80

Registered User.
Local time
I know this is a really old thread but I'm trying to work out which web host to use for the photography website I'm setting up.

Lots of helpful suggestions here and I'm trying to decide between Redstation as mentioned above and 1and1 http://website.1and1.co.uk/website-builder (link for ref) - can anyone suggest which may be best? I've no experience of website building so I'd be looking for a fair amount of guidance. The site's going to be a way of getting my photography portfolio together in the same place online, so I can show it to employers etc, so I want it to look really slick and professional - that's why I've not been considering a blogging platform like Wordpress etc.

Any idea welcome!

Thanks,
Charlie

Christianz1

Local time
Yes do a bit research before choosing web hosting. Recently taken services of Pixiemedia.co.uk, really they are one of the best Devon Hosting Company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom