Max Lock Files Missing in win 10 (1 Viewer)

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Today, 19:44
Hi guys

My Jet database used to have Max Lock file issue when the database grows. If so i change the registry as follows as example

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Jet 4.0]
"MaxLocksPerFile"=dword:0001d4c0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access Connectivity Engine\Engines\ACE]
"MaxLocksPerFile"=dword:0001d4c0

However in Win10 installed with Access 03 there is no such entry in the registry.
Can i still run these registry updates?
What is happening, please advice.

Thank you.

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Thank you moke for showing another way. The link is very useful.

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Thank you Colin for interesting and informative exchanges with Doc & static, lots to chew, goood!.

Just read moke your second link.

I finally understand, in a 64 bit environment, the windows bowels (quote from Colin) is at the Wow8432Node, that is if i want play with registry.

Perhaps if i setup each application with
DAO.DBEngine.SetOption dbmaxlocksperfile,150000
I don't have to bother what pc is running the application.

Is this assumption right?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:44
FuzMic, you NEVER can ignore which PC is running the app. However, with a 64-bit version of Windows and at least 8 GB of RAM and a 32-bit version of Office, you can USUALLY ignore which PC you are on. If you were doing that on a 32-bit Windows XP then that number might be just a teeny bit high for comfort. And we won't discuss the implications of any memory model earlier than the LMM used by WinXP.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:44
Just for the record, 'bowels of Windows' was a quote by the Doc Man.
My setup is still using 15000 not150000 and has been fine with that value

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:44
Just for the record, 'bowels of Windows' was a quote by the Doc Man.

Yes, it is something I might mention now and then. But where else would you expect to find the ... excrement that reflects how clunky Windows can be?

Even after MS reworked a lot of their code to more closely resemble OpenVMS internals (thanks to Dave Cutler), they had to retain a lot of stuff for backwards compatibility, mostly so MS would not have to totally rewrite ALL of their paged extensions, i.e. that part of the Windows O/S that does not have to be permanently resident. Helper tasks mostly. Some folks call them 'services' and in some systems would call them 'daemons.' That is the part to which I primarily refer. It's the baggage they can't drop, left over from days when Windows was just a layer on top of MS-DOS.

FuzMic

DataBase Tinker
Local time
Thanks guys for your insight & clarification on who's innerds. Cheerio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom