Dynamic Column Headings Crosstab Report (1 Viewer)

natep26

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:49
I created a crosstab report from a crosstab query using the example from the solutions9 database.

I have one little hang up. If I run the report, I recieve the error "Jet database engine does not recognize '' as a valid field name or expression."
From reading, it appears that the problem is fixed by declaring the column headers in the Column Headings Field of the Query Properties. If I do this, the query and report work great. However, I am looking for a way for the column headings to be created automatically.

Thanks for your help.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 13:49
Are you trying to ensure that missing headings are utilised in the column headings? Whereby if you are running a crosstab grouped by the month of a date and there is no data for a specific month and you still want that month to appear a blank column.

A cross tab query wil only give column heads for groupings that contain data. No data for July no July column.

Can you specify more?

natep26

Registered User.
Local time
The headings are created by quarter. When I run the Report I want the column headings to be the same as the query depending on the date range I run the report for. In the query, everything comes up fine. For it to work in the report, I'd have to put the coumn headings into the query properties.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Lets say in yourt query you are running the query for the full year to date effect but you are only half way through the year. You will get data for Q1 and Q2 and Total. But for presentation purposes you would like to show the Q3 and Q4 column headings. This is the point that you use the query column headings property to pre populate the col headings. As they are static for that year then this will be a once a year activity.

natep26

Registered User.
Local time
In your example, I don't want to show the columns for the 3rd and 4th quarters if there is no data for the period. The problem is, if I don't put anything in the query column headings property, then I get the "Jet database engine does not recognize '' as a valid field name or expression." error.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Is it possible you could supply a working example of the senerio you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom