Are there too many forums here? (1 Viewer)

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 03:32
This is something I'm wondering. It's a site with a focus on Access, yet the majority of the forums are on non-Access issues.

Personally, I don't see why there are so many areas that could be one big Watercooler, like the old days, as the Gadgets/Business areas seem to attract little else but spam.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
I agree, maybe gaming can be put in with sports? Politics can be easily grouped in with the main watercooler as the two often seem to cross over anyway and I'm not convinced that Gadgets/Business would be missed, people could easily post in the watercooler for those sections.

I still see a need for a unique "site suggestion" forum though as this makes your job a little easier...

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:32
I agree - one watercooler would be better. I think there are too many forums up in the access portion of the site as well. It doesn't take people long to figure out that posting in the General section gets their questions answered faster than if they categorize them properly.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Yesterday, 19:32
Maybe you should also have one category for SPAM so that the spammers could actually post to a correct category <he said tongue-in-cheek>

This site actually has fewer categories than a lot of forum sites, so I don't know that it has too many, just perhaps not the right ones (as you've said the Gadgets, Small Business, etc).

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Yesterday, 21:32
I generally agree that there's too many non-Access forums. General (in the Access portion) is sort of a dumping ground, but without it we'd get even more miscategorizations, I fear. Maybe move it to the bottom of the Access list, as a "if your post doesn't fit anywhere above..."

Reactions: SOS

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
a couple of thoughts

i am sure it's hard to get it right - i think the access bit is rggod with just a few areas - i find it easier to use than utteraccess, where they have many more

the other threads are just a bit of fun anyway, so its less important, isnt it?

------
out of interest, i just joined digitalspy (UK TV) - interesting site for sky and stuff (UK TV) one problem there seems to be the enormous volume of posts they get on some threads - which changes the nature of the site 9or at least those big threads

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
When looking at the number of posts each member has it is impossible to to know how many are actually Access related - as this is supposed to be an Access Knowledgebase - is there any way of being able to view the number of posts by category?

David

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
When looking at the number of posts each member has it is impossible to to know how many are actually Access related - as this is supposed to be an Access Knowledgebase - is there any way of being able to view the number of posts by category?

David
Why does it matter?:confused:

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:32
hey david. this question came up a while back and i think the answer was no, you can't see the breakdown, unless, maybe, you're an admin. i'm curious about that too, and others have said the same, but noone has found a way to do it. could be an "issue" with vbulletin; i'm not sure how much customization can be done with the UI by an owner/dev.

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
As Rich asked "Why does this matter?" I ask the same thing.

The only purpose I see this for is to allow people to use this info to prove how many posts people are making to help others and point out how many non access posts are being made.

I do not see the point on having this option.

If i ask for help & see that the person that replied only has 15 posts, it does not mean that I won't listen to what they offer, I appreciate all the help I can get & read through every post.

If someone chooses to only post in the watercooler then let them do so.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:32
Probably only need Watercooler and Political in that section and perhaps a warning to people who dare to venture there.:)

As to a split post count I think that would be meaningless simply because on some Watercooler/Political threads you can run a heap of posts real quick and especially if a religion based thread. In fact I can think of at least one AWF VIP who at times will run a bunch of posts in a real short time.:D

I would probably have Word and Excel up closer to the main action.

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:32
The only purpose I see this for is to allow people to use this info to prove how many posts people are making to help others and point out how many non access posts are being made.
whether or not it's proof may be a moot point, but i think that's essentially correct.

I do not see the point on having this option.
ok. but i think you do see the point; you said as much above.

If i ask for help & see that the person that replied only has 15 posts, it does not mean that I won't listen to what they offer, I appreciate all the help I can get & read through every post.
same here.

If someone chooses to only post in the watercooler then let them do so.
agreed.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I don't know about too many forums, but I think deleting a thread without notice or banning someone, or deleting a post without notice should be stopped.

If something is to be deleted, it is professional courtesy (to any civilised person) to notify the poster as to why.

Col

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
David,

With the current search interface you can certainly look up individual's post
counts, per forum, but they will only retrieve results 500 at a time. For a
complete analysis I think you'd have to manually alter the date ranges and
compile the stats.

Col,

With all of your contributions to the site, I'm surprised that you've been
abused *almost* as much as you have abused the innocent folks that
you've persecuted in the past. I sincerely hope that you resolve all of
your conflicts in the very near future.

wazz,

Yes, I wish it was Access World Forums again.

Wayne

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Yesterday, 21:32
On another forum I'm on, they simply turned off post count incrementing in the off-topic forums. It still shows your total count if you search for that user's posts, but the number by your name is just for your in-game stuff. Seems to work pretty well, but it would probably require recompiling the current post count numbers.
http://www.vbskinstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8911 said:
Login to your admin control panel... /admincp

Go to:
Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager

Then go to the forum you wish to have NOT count posts... and click Edit Forum

Scroll down to Enable / Disable Features: You will see
Count Posts Made in this Forum Towards User Post Counts

Select No, and then hit Save @ the bottom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom