Looks like the site is infected and admins don't have idea about it. (1 Viewer)

Khalid_Afridi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:38
Alas! so very are hijacked at last:eek::mad::( I was very happy here sometime ago.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 11:38
Alas! so very are hijacked at last:eek::mad::( I was very happy here sometime ago.

Huh? :confused: I'm sorry, I didn't understand this at all. Can you try and explain better? I understand English is not your first language.

Khalid_Afridi

Registered User.
Local time
don't try to understand

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 08:38
Also, to be clear:

The site wasn't hijacked. What actually happened was that one of advertiser was crappy and probably broke the etiquette if not Google AdSense's Terms of Service by disrupting browser's behavior so they can be in your face. Jon removed that nasty advertisers from the "allowed list".

This is very different thing from being hijacked or getting malware installed. It may look like that way but it's not really that simple. Now, that could have been avoided if Jon chose to not allow external sources in the source but ads were added as means to support the site, for better or worse.

Khalid_Afridi

Registered User.
Local time
I know Banana :) I was just kidding.
It's good that jon removed that nasty advertisers.

Banana

Local time
Jon -

Just curious - does Google give you enough control to deny any ads that requires JavaScript or Java? I bet that if you could restrict ads to only JavaScripts or forbid any scripting, that would be less of an issue?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:38
You have very limited control. You can only block by advert url.

Banana

Local time
Too bad. It would certainly make things lot easier if you could block scripting ads. Any advertisers that tries to use those should be nailed to the wall, IMNSHO. :)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:38
Ooooo that is a nasty bit of code. Google will surely ban them.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 11:38
I still have yet to experience this. Just for kicks, I uninstalled all ad blocking and used IE at home, and surfed around the site and forum. I didn't get a single ad like the one in the video. Do you have all IE updates? Maybe it's a hole they plugged with a more recent update that's affecting you?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:38
I use Kaspersky KIS 2010 at home with all sorts of filters and blockers. I'm not advertising the KIS product. KIS is able to block a lot of this stuff, but the truth is that MOST of the good packages can do this. It is a matter of how we install it and what features we are willing to turn on.

On the other hand, I'll add this note. While working on my day job for the U.S. Department of Defense, I used to teach Windows Security for System Administrators. Per a study by the SANS Institute not that long ago, failing to patch systems on a regular basis was in the top 3 reasons why a system would be affected by security threats. Others included use of firewalls and use of comprehensive security software. 'Comprehensive' in that context was anti-virus scanner with e-mail tie-ins; ad-ware blocker; spy-ware blocker; and active threat detection capability such as heuristics, file-system tie-ins, and program behavior checkers in general.

Many good packages from Symantec, McAfee, and Kaspersky Labs have at least 75% of those features built-in. To my way of thinking, any computer professional who doesn't have one of the advanced systems is either daft or is so new to the game as to not have yet been enlightened. Here's hoping my comments will be viewed as constructive. That is how they were intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom