Random data missing from Access 2010 Db (1 Viewer)

tzaqaree

Local time
Today, 01:12
Hi All,
I have an access database that is stored on a network file server. A user enters information manually into it. She has noticed that multiple records have data missing. These records are not group together in any specific way. The missing data is only in two columns (Date_Given and Staff_Assigned). The user saves regularly and has checked to ensure that the data has been entered. The data does not immediately go missing. No one is using queries to access this data. She is the only user with access to the database and I don't think she is deleting the information accidentally. The data is also missing from backups of the database that are performed nightly. Any idea as to what the cause of this may be?
:banghead:

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 04:12
Was the data saved Incomplete to begin with?
There's no virus creeping around erasing random fields.

tzaqaree

Local time
No the data was saved complete. According to the user she saved the data and double checked. A few days later it went missing.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
I think that there are a couple of things that need clarification, in order for us to help.

I have an access database that is stored on a network file server. A user enters information manually into it.

Is this app split into a Front End/Back End configuration, or is it a single, non-split file?

The above sounds as if only this single user actually uses the database...but

No one is using queries to access this data.

brings this into question...is anyone else using the database for anything?

The user saves regularly and has checked to ensure that the data has been entered.

How, exactly, does the user 'save' the data? Is this a Bound Form? If so, the data should be automatically saved when moving to another Record or closing the Form or Access itself.

Also, why would the single user need to check 'to ensure that the data has been entered,' if no one else is entering data?

What, exactly, does

The data does not immediately go missing

mean? When does it 'go missing?'

And lastly, how are the Fields Date_Given and Staff_Assigned populated...physically, by the user, or through code of some sort?

Welcome to AWF!

Linq ;0)>

tzaqaree

Local time
Thanks for responding.

There is no app. It is all done through Access 2010.
She is the only user who is able to modify data. Other users are able to view the data. This was set up through network permissions on the file.
In the access file she hits Ctrl+S after she enters a record or changes the data.
She checks out of habit. We had issues before where her connection to the network was being interrupted. This caused records to go missing so she would double check after each entry. These issues have been fixed. She was on wifi and now connects via RJ-45. Out of habit, she still double checks.
The data goes missing a few days after initial entry.
Both fields are populated by the user.

It is possible that she is making these deletions accidentally but the user has proven to be meticulous in the past and the fact that the data is not grouped together in any specific way leads me to believe that she didn't accidentally select a few records and hit the delete key.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
How often do "network drops/issues" occur? Sounds like corruption related tonetwork instability.
What about Linq's question re: Front End/Back End configuration?

Tfa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:12
could it be that another form make this deletions
also does the the columps get fully deleted or part of them?
search for update and delete queries that have access to this columns
there might be something that someone wrote a while ago and gets triggered by some action that is not that easy to spot

tzaqaree

Local time
jdraw
It's all back end.
Regarding network instability that issue was cleared up by connecting her to the network via an RJ-45 rather than WiFi. We have other Dbs on the same server and they aren't having issues with missing data. It is only this one independant access file, so I'm not thinking that it is a network issue. Couple that with the fact that the data isn't going missing for several days makes it seem less like a problem with how the data is saved.

tzaqaree

Local time
tfa
No there are no forms associated with this file.
Most of the columns don't get deleted it is just sporadically happening to specific fields in the columns. One column will retain data while the other loses it, or both will lose data, or both will retain data. It really seems random.
No one who uses this db is using queries, it is all manual entry directly in the file.
This is a new database created specifically for this user where none of the data is inserted by code.

tzaqaree

Local time
jdraw
There are no forms or programs that are being used to enter data into the db. It is only an access file that she goes into to manually change the data.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Does this mean she is actually manipulating the tables directly?
Do you understand the FE/BE concept that 'Linq asked about in post #4?

It may be that your specific use of Access and your expectations/assumptions of what is happening could be an issue. Most developers will use FE/BE, and not let anyone deal with tables directly.

Good luck.

tzaqaree

Local time
jdraw
Possibly I do not understand. As I understand it, backend is the actual file the data is stored; front end is a program or form that is used to insert the data into the db.
She manipulates the tables directly.
I usually do set up a program for the users, but management thought that this was basically a glorified excel file and that she wouldn't need something to enter the data.
I'm not ruling anything out as a possibility, so the issue might be on my end.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Access is development tool/facility based on relational database concepts.
Excel is a spreadsheet.
These are built upon and use very different object models.

See this link re multiuser database, performance and design.

Your situation isn't the first to suffer from "designed by management".
I'm sure your management wouldn't want an experienced mule-skinner to operate on their body to cure an ailment.
Tools + skill + experience is a good, proven strategy.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom