If then statement in a query field (1 Viewer)

BJF

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:05
Hi,

Up to this point i have used more VBA then exploring the power of queries,
but I could really use some help with something that I think is possible but can not figure out.

If I have a query that has 2 fields, and i want to make one field = 0 if the other field is true, how do i go about writing that expression?

Would someone please give me a simple example (and syntax) that i can apply to my database based on what i have explained?

Thanks for your help,
Brian

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:05
The syntax in the query designer is something along the line of;

Code:
MyCalcField: IIf([FieldA] = True, 0 , 99)
Where 0 is the true result and 99 is the false result.
You could replace 99 with another field if it contained the false value you wanted;

Code:
MyCalcField: IIf([FieldA] = True, 0 , [FieldB])

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:05
Hi Brian. If the other field is not True (False), what do you want the new column to say? You could try the IIf() function. For example:
Code:
IIf([FieldName]=True,0,Null)

Edit: Oops, too slow...

BJF

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:05
I am looking to have a total field (which contains an amount in every record) = whatever amount each record has.....unless another field in the query is populated...and if that is the case, then i want my total field to equal 0.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I am looking to have a total field (which contains an amount in every record) = whatever amount each record has.....unless another field in the query is populated...and if that is the case, then i want my total field to equal 0.
Sounds like the second option Minty posted is what you want then. Cheers!

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time

As an alternative, have a criteria on your query the omits all records where your "Other field" is not blank.

This means that, if only 4 records out of 254669 have the other field blank, you only return 4 records to total not all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom