Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #46
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Quote:
Until the deniers can show some evidence, they are indulging in unsubstantiated speculation and should be ignored.
As long one side has all the answers and the other side is to be ignored, well you can predict the outcome.

You see this behavior not only in science, you see it on college campuses and religion.

Substitute the word population control for climate control. Either way its population control.

AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:22 AM   #47
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,242 Times in 1,141 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

@Vassago:

While I am a skeptic on the cause of the climate issues, I stand side-by-side with you on the health effects of pollution. I have tried to make that clear in this and related discussions. When it comes to climate cause and effect, there are very few articles that don't use correlation. But correlation is not causation.

For the last 50+ years, however, strict mechanistic pathways of "pollution causing a specific disease" have been published. In my original training as a chemist, I worked with a professor who was researching specifics of phosphate-based pollutants and ways of more precisely detecting them in minute quantity quickly. FYI, the phosphates come up in certain weed killers. He wasn't my primary advisor but he WAS on my committee and he would "borrow" me when computer-related stuff came up.

So I'm all for cleaning up pollution. Not because it will help the climate; I'm not at all convinced about that. But it WILL help the long-term health of my grandsons. And I will hope that whether anyone agrees with me on climate issues, they will recognize that I want the same kind of cleanup they want. Just a different motive, but the same result.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #48
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,797 Posts
isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light

The BBC website today published a very clear summary of climate changes over the past 140 years or so together with other relevant data
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46384067

That article doesn't include the increase in Antarctic sea ice but there are many other articles which cover possible reasons for that. For example
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/3...global-warming
https://phys.org/news/2013-10-antarctic-sea-ice.html

It is of course worth noting that the decrease in Arctic sea ice is significantly greater than the increase in Antarctic sea ice

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #49
Steve R.
Retired

Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough

Surprising what one can run across when browsing. I ran accross the following video by Ivar Giaever "Global Warming is Pseudoscience". He causaly touched on a few points that I have been alluding to in the thread: Population Control - An inconvenient truth. So I was thrilled that he did so. Basically, Giaever contends that CO2 emissions are overrated as a principal cause of global warming and that we need to consider, in part, the (adverse) human effects on the environment. Such as: population increase, urbanization, and deforestation.

To clarify Giaever's theme a bit, he does not consider human impact to be significant either. What he does suggest, is that those who push global warming need to consider other possible contributors to global warming, such as human impact, but they ignore this potential factor.

Additionally, Giaever contends that if one takes a long view of the Earth's heating/cooling cycles, that the current rise in global temperatures is within "normal" patterns. He also tossed in the unanswerable concept of what is the ideal temperature of the Earth? So we shouldn't be going nuts over current climate change (global warming).

Since posting, this video popped-up: Lord Christopher Monckton - Global Warming is a Hoax

Last edited by Steve R.; 12-02-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Steve R. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #50
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the references, Steve. It is time that more people publicly denounced the "poor practices" (I'll avoid calling it pseudoscience) of the "Global Warming" crowd.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #51
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,420 Times in 1,340 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Ivar Giaver has zero credentials in anything related to climate science.
The rapidly rising temperatures are not within the normal patterns.
The notion of debating the ideal temperature of planet as though wormer might be better is a concept only raised by ignorant fools.

Monkton has no scientific credentials at all. Moreover he is a despicable person.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #52
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough

It appears young Frenchman would rather have a baguette on their table today, then worry about climate change tomorrow.

This has to be a heavy blow the to the religion.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paris.jpg (103.0 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by AccessBlaster; 12-08-2018 at 08:39 AM.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:43 AM   #53
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Found this YouTube article that I think is relevant to the climate change talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phaBUQ3NU1w

It will take about 5 1/2 minutes of your time. I knew that SOMEONE had to have looked at the long-term cycles. Now I've found something that makes sense to me based on tree ring history, ice cores, and other long-term observations. OK, I'll admit that I have a bias towards believing this article's premises and conclusions. But this kind of evidence is not so susceptible to chance correlations or accidental parallel correlations.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:58 AM   #54
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

And another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7whL9jvdL5s

This one will take 6 minutes give or take a couple.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:24 AM   #55
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

And another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiIPBnZCmVk

About 8 minutes.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #56
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,797 Posts
isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
OK, I'll admit that I have a bias towards believing this article's premises and conclusions. But this kind of evidence is not so susceptible to chance correlations or accidental parallel correlations.
Doc

I did watch the last two videos you posted / discussed here & at the Mind Tavern. IIRC, the first was an interview on Fox with a scientist who had worked all his life for organisations such as the Cato Institute funded by the coal industry. The second was a talk by Ivar Gleavar who is a Nobel Physicist in quantum tunneling but with absolutely no experience or qualifications in climatology. Both were highly selective with the facts presented.

Its more than a bias. You have been selectively posting videos which are from climate change deniers and ignore any opposing evidence. I haven't watched any of these 3 videos yet but I would be very surprised if these are more balanced than the previous ones you posted

Website links:

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
Galaxiom (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #57
Rx_
Nothing In Moderation

Rx_ has a spectacular aura about Rx_ has a spectacular aura about Rx_ has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

OMG! CATO "funded by the coal industry". Really? LOL

Did you associate Cato's foundation assistance by the Koch brothers - so the research is automatically wrong?
Or is it because the billionaire industrialist Koch brothers, gave a $25 million grant to the United Negro College Fund? President Obama personally and publicly recognized that it saved this valued institution.
Kochs gives to Nova(PBS) and Smithsonian Human Evolution among other institutions that freely promote generally one-sided global warming theory.

The School of Mines in Golden Colorado has huge support from all mining industries. Where does their research fall on a moral judgement?

What about the Royalty of England? in 1800 Britain produced about 90% of the world output of coal. The Royal Family did build up a nice tidy stash of profits that carried the family forward from that? The history there of children chained and abused are historic. Should we burn all of the research funded however small or indirect from this source too?

I think Tree rings are too short of a time period. Tree rings are affected by different aspects of CO2, sunlight (e.g. volcanic ash clouds), water and other factors. The research on our Sun, a variable star, counting all radiation including magnetic indicates a larger impact on the Earth. Of course that research is funded by NASA and other science groups that receive funds from taxing oil/gas, coal, and other sources. So lets ignore them too.

Quotation Thomas Jefferson: "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."

There are 2 Kinds of Countries on this Planet
1. Those that use the Metric System
2. Those that had a man walk on the moon

Denver, Colorado - The "Mile High City" - non-metric!
Rx_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: