Help for a complete access n00b (1 Viewer)

piraterach

Local time
Today, 07:59
Hi Everyone

I'm new at this so please be kind if this has been posted before or is in the wrong category.

I'm looking for help on producing a database and after only really using word haven't the first clue how to go about it.

It's a fairly tricky one too. I need to create a question bank that has different types of questions in it (multiple choice, true false and complex questions such as fill in the blanks and label the picture). The questions each have a learning outcome associated with them that may be duplicated.

I then need to create an exam paper in word where:
- there are a set number of questions of each type (eg. 3 mc, 2 complex, 5 tf)
- where the learning outcome is only duplicated a set number of times
- the questions are not the same as the ones chosen last time

Does anyone know if this is even possible? And want to help me in anyway get this thing started. I've tried watching videos on database creation but think i might need a bit more of a guiding hand :D TIA

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
in principle it is doable but not sure where word comes into it. Having got your questions and fields for answers is the idea to create a paper copy for the student to complete? in which case how are the answers to be evaluated? If they are completing on screen, will they have a connection to the access db for code to go check the answer? or do you want somehow for access to create a word document with the answers encoded in some way.

Before starting on the db design, you need to be clear about the infrastructure in which this will work

piraterach

Local time
Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear.

I purely want to use the database to create the exam paper in a word format. If it would also be possible to input answers into the database and have them printed on a separate answer sheet that would be great but not essential.

So ideally you would "ask" the database to create a paper with 10 questions, 2 of them being multiple choice, 4 being true/false and 4 being complex. It would then create a word document with these questions in (no duplicated learning outcomes or previously asked questions) which could be printed off.

Does this make sense? I'm debating whether access is the way to go with this or if another office program may be better???
Thanks

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I don't know where I read it, I know it was a few years ago. It was a thread where some people were discussing creating questionnaires, the general consensus was it's a very difficult thing to do in MS Access. I remember it, because these were people that had a good bit of MS Access knowledge.

Having said that, and the main reason I am posting is,
I developed a database for a charity that recorded the information required for filling of a report about the people the charity supported. The report was a government requirement, needed to secure funding...

The main task performed by this database was to produce a checklist. The original checklist was "checkboxes" however I have adapted it for several different uses and one use was as "multi choice".

The details of how to create the basic checklist are here:-
How to add a Checklist to MS Access

The first video on this webpage shows you how to convert the checklist into a simple questionnaire:-
Checklist User Case Examples

And the last video on this page shows you a demo of the questionnaire with multiple choice:-
Check List Extras

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A little bit clearer - my interpretation of your comments is

'the exam creation routine is completely separate from the candidate answering the questions and all marking is assessed manually'

but go through the steps from question/right answer creation to final 'paper'. At the moment you seem to be wanting access to create a word document to be printed off - why not just have access create a report and print that? either physically or to a pdf? Involves one line of code rather than hundreds and word can open a pdf.

How are you going to assess the learning outcome? manually? in another system?

Only other office program you might want to consider is excel, but with similar amounts of coding to create a word document and potentially more complex algorithms to present the data you want.

At the moment the level of detail supplied is comparable to asking a travel agent

'I want to get to New York, perhaps by train'

To answer the question, the travel agent will need to know from where? when? how long to spend travelling? do you mind an overnight stop, etc

The question of multi choice answers is a common one, there are a number of threads on this and other forums on the subject, tho' I'm not aware of any specifically to do with word. This link may give you some direction

https://nortonsafe.search.ask.com/web?q=access+vba+multi+choice+questions&o=APN11908&prt=cr&chn=prev

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom