Question Credentialing Database Help!!! I'm Stuck... (1 Viewer)

trumirage

Local time
Today, 04:38
I am creating an insurance credentialing database for my facility that tracks all of the insurance plans our providers are credentialed with. We have 34 providers, 7 locations, and 232 active insurance plans. Each provider is credentialed with different insurance plans at each location. I need to be able to track that in the database. The way I currently have it setup is I have a Provider List TABLE and within that table I have a columns for the provider names, their credentials, and their ID numbers. I also have 7 additional columns for our 7 facilities. Each of those 7 additional columns is labeled with a facility name and is a LOOKUP FIELD that relates back to a separate table with all 232 of our active insurance plans.

From that TABLE, I created a FORM with each of the providers (34) listed separately. On each provider form I put a TAB CONTROL. Each TAB CONTROL has 7 tabs for each of the facilities. What I wanted to happen with the TAB CONTROL on the form is that it would list out each of the insurance plans that the provider is credentialed with at each facility. I also wanted to make each of the names for the insurance plans a hyperlink that can be clicked on and will open a second form with all of the contact information for that specific insurance plan.

My roadblock is that I can't seem to figure out how to make what I want to happen with the TAB CONTROL on the form...happen. I actually don't even know if it is possible. Can anyone provide any assistance with this? Or can you tell me if I'm going about this the wrong way and guide me in the right direction?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:38
. I also have 7 additional columns for our 7 facilities.

I stopped reading when I got to there!

If I understand correctly you have 7 columns one for each facility. That could well be a big problem. This is commonly known as "Excel in Access" thinking, and it's just not the way to go about it in MS Access.

I explain the problem in both text pictures and videos on my website here:- "Excel in Access"

There is also a tool available, the "Transpose Tool" for converting your data trapped in the columns into a table structure suitable for MS Access... The tool is currently free if you sign up to my newsletter. See my website for further details...

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 04:38
Or can you tell me if I'm going about this the wrong way and guide me in the right direction?

1. The development order of an Access database should be Tables then Reports then Forms. No point making spiffy forms if you are just using them to throw your data in a hole from which it can never be retrieved. Set up your tables properly, then build reports to verify that you can get your data out like you need, then build forms to get data into the system.

2. Read up on normalization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization). That's the process of properly structuring your data into the correct table and fields. Work through a few tutorials, then apply what you learn to your tables. Finally, once you have your structure, set up the Relationship Tool in Access and post a screenshot here so we can help verify it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom