5 Cascading fields on Form wont narrow selection (1 Viewer)

tjones

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:19
Can not get the cascading fields to work.

When you select the Activity Taken cmdButton and then on School select "Lowell" you should have three Sessions (per the refSchoolActivity table)
"CS Porter" should give you three and so should "Big Sky" and then narrow down to the Grade, component and then Activity.

I just get the same one selection (from Session to Activity) :confused:

Are my tables set up wrong, or am i missing something. (5 Cascading Tables in the table help section) not sure about linking the two requests but here is the one regarding the tables http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=291154

This is for an afterschool program that wants to narrow down the selection based on the programs schools (8 of them) then by session, by grade, and then arrive at an activity. They can all mix an match activities based on session, grade level, core component.

In order to meet the size requirement I have removed parts that do not tie with this problem

Attachments

• Flagship-TEST - Copy.accdb
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:19
The row source in cboSessionID is refSession. So when you choose Lowell (3) from cboSchoolID the row source selects sessions matching 3 from refSession of which there is only one record - spring.

I think you need to change the row source of cboSessionID to refSchoolActivity and filter accordingly.

tjones

Registered User.
Local time
I changed as suggested from refSession to refSchoolActivities

SELECT refSchoolActivity.SessionID, refSchoolActivity.Session FROM refSchoolActivity WHERE (((refSchoolActivity.[SessionID])=[Forms]![frmActivityTaken]![SchoolID])) ORDER BY refSchoolActivity.[SessionID], refSchoolActivity.[Session];

which gave me an enter parameter value refSchoolActivity.Session

so i removed Session

SELECT refSchoolActivity.SessionID FROM refSchoolActivity WHERE (((refSchoolActivity.[SessionID])=[Forms]![frmActivityTaken]![SchoolID])) ORDER BY refSchoolActivity.[SessionID];

and there was no selection in the SessionID drop after choosing Lowell.

Very frustrating as I have been working on this same problem for two weeks.

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:19
I made some changes to the schoolid combo (event) and the sessionid source. See attached

Attachments

• Flagship-TEST - v2.accdb
    1.7 MB · Views: 57

tjones

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you so much. It may not be pulling correctly from the table but hopefully i can figure it out ... at least its pulling information now!

tjones

Registered User.
Local time
I think I was going about it wrong. I re-set the form so the first four fields (school, session, grade and core comp) was pulling from their respect reference tables and the made a query in just the ActivityName field to sort through the information in the School Activity table. But its not working.

SELECT refSchoolActivity.SchoolID, tblActivityTaken.SessionID, refSchoolActivity.ProgGradeID, refSchoolActivity.CoreCompID, refSchoolActivity.ActivityName
FROM tblActivityTaken RIGHT JOIN refSchoolActivity ON (tblActivityTaken.CoreCompID = refSchoolActivity.CoreCompID) AND (tblActivityTaken.ProgGradeID = refSchoolActivity.ProgGradeID) AND (tblActivityTaken.SessionID = refSchoolActivity.SessionID) AND (tblActivityTaken.SchoolID = refSchoolActivity.SchoolID)
WHERE (((refSchoolActivity.SchoolID)=[Forms]![frmActivityTaken]![cboSchoolID]) AND ((tblActivityTaken.SessionID)=[Forms]![frmActivityTaken]![cboSessionID]) AND ((refSchoolActivity.ProgGradeID)=[Forms]![frmActivityTaken]![cboProgGradeID]) AND ((refSchoolActivity.CoreCompID)=[forms]![frmActivityTaken]![cboCoreCompID]));

Attachments

• using query to cbo.jpg
    using query to cbo.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom