Security Challenge #1 (Show/Hide Tables) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:24
This sample database is intended as the first in a series of security challenges.

These are designed to show ways of making Access apps reasonably secure.
This example is intended to be easier than the Security Challenge #2 posted a few weeks ago

The application is an ACCDE file so all VBA code has been removed.
The file has been renamed as a runtime file (ACCDR). It will not run if the file type is changed.

Startup properties have been modified.
There is no access to the navigation pane, ribbon or the rest of the application window
The taskbar has also been removed. It is restored automatically when the application closes

The application contains a number of deep hidden tables (as well as the Access system tables)
These deep hidden tables cannot be viewed in the navigation pane.

The challenge is to:
a) find the name of each deep hidden table
b) determine the number of records in each table
c) find the contents of each field for the last record in the table with the largest number of records

The challenge is intended to be solvable.
Once you have done the first part, the other two parts should (hopefully) be fairly simple.
To make things easier for this challenge, it has deliberately NOT been password protected.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions have been provided

If you succeed, please send me a private message or email me using the link in my signature line.
Please include the answers to a, b & c together with how you solved the challenge and the approximate time taken.

Please do NOT post your solution in this thread or it will spoil the challenge for others

I hope you enjoy puzzling out this challenge

NOTE: Access databases, including this one, can NEVER be made 100% secure
A capable and determined hacker can break any Access database given time

Attachments

• ShowHideChallenge32.zip
    257.8 KB · Views: 445
  • ShowHideChallenge64.zip
    257.9 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:24
Congratulations to CJ_London who became the latest person to solve this challenge today.
Indirectly he also made a passing comment which led to a breakthrough regarding deep hidden system tables
Many thanks for that

Onwards & upwards to challenge #2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom