Old Dog Learning New Tricks (1 Viewer)

Joanchka

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:24
I was originally going to start this post by saying that I loved my first database. It wasn't Access but something else on an Apple Mac back in the 1980s, but now I can't even remember what it was called!
Anyway, back at the turn of the millennium, I was forced to switch to PCs, and in doing so also switched to using Access as my old database was Mac only.
You would think that I would be pretty awesome using Access by now, but the truth is that I'm not. I've never taken the time to learn vba and so use queries as much as possible to achieve my goals.
I'm in the UK and have a small business selling online on eBay/Amazon and my own website.
Also I'm switching my online selling management software from one company to another due to very poor performance from the former, which is a massive task on its own, but now I also have to try and learn about eBay Templates, create a new website using Magento 2, and trying to improve my Access skills.
So although I should write that I like long walks along the beach etc, I currently just don't have the time.
Anyway, if you read this to the end then perhaps you could wish me luck

Joanchka

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
Today, 11:24
Welcome to the forums!

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. I wish good luck! (You'll have to handle the being good on your own)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:24
use queries as much as possible to achieve my goals.

You've already learned a very important "trick" right there!

Joanchka

Registered User.
Local time
If anyone ever reads this - I remember now - the original database I used was called Helix Express!

GrunleStan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:24
If anyone ever reads this - I remember now - the original database I used was called Helix Express!

I've been using databases since FoxPro and I don't remember that one ...
only one that I liked on an Apple was Filemaker Pro.

welcome to the forum

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:24
I recall a couple of really primitive systems based on something called "EasyTrieve" but that was literally DECADES ago. I think my first real database system at work was DEC Datatrieve and my first home system was Paradox for DOS.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I started with Apple IIe's and UCSD Pascal. There were no databases, spreadsheets/word processors, so I had to learn to write my own. Learned about indexing, disc management, memory management, OOP and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom