Autoplay stopped working on my USB devices (1 Viewer)

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
Today, 13:23
Lately when I plug in a USB device (camera, thumb drive, etc) a window no longer comes up with options on what to do. The camera used to always open the scanner and camera wizard, the thumb drive would always open a folder to view files.

I went to properties (AutoPlay tab) for the devices and selected what I want it to do but it still doesn't.

I also tried to restore the defaults but it still does nothing. The computer makes the usual sound when I plug in the device and it recognizes it, but nothing more.

Thanks

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
Actually that was the first thing I tried before I started this thread, but thanks for trying to help. :)

miltiadis21

Junior Programmer
Local time
Today, 11:23
Do you have VMware or any other program that messed up with autoplay?
I think that something is wrong with the registry

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
No such software on my computer.

Maybe it is something with the registry. I did use a trial version of JV Power Tools to clean up my registry and that might have been around the time this started happening.

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
There is an accidental 8 in that first URL.

I will check that out tonight when I'm at my home computer.

Thanks again!

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
I think it might be fixed...

I tried the first link which explains how to change a registry value regarding autoplay. When I did that, my registry key already contained that value so I changed it back to the default value and rebooted. Still no change, so I went to the registry and changed it back to what it was (the value that the link tells you to change it to). Then I rebooted and now it seems to work with both my thumb drive and camera.

Time will tell if it keeps working that way.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom