Access 2013 Web App Database Credentials (1 Viewer)

OldMike

Local time
Today, 05:57
We are using MS Hosted Office 365 & Sharepoint, and are looking at creating an Access Web app. However there is some lack of clarity regarding permissions/credentials in accessing an Access 2013 Web App database. I outline a couple of scenarios below and I'd be grateful for confirmation or correction.
Scenario 1 - Native Web App
In this scenario, we'd create a Web App and instal it in one of our Cross-Organisation Sharepoint sites. We would be able to control access to it (no access/read only/read write) by using standard Sharepoint credential approaches. I could also identify the current Sharepoint user by using the UserDisplayName funtion from within UI macros.

Scenario 2 - Web App Database accessed by Client Front End
In this scenario we'd access the Azure DB that sits behind the Web App from a desktop Access Front End using ODBC. My understanding here is that we're completely bypassing Sharepoint so cannot control access via Sharepoint credentials, nor can we identify the Current user using the UserDisplayName function as this is only available to the web UI macros.
In this instance initial security is via the Database Connection string and any more detailed user level security would need to be built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom