Form controls disappear after filter by form (1 Viewer)

Philocthetes

Has a great deal to learn
Local time
Yesterday, 17:56
I have built an Access 2016 form that included 3 subforms (I've deleted one while stabbing at a solution). The feeder query for the main form includes 4 tables, one of which is an inner join. The subforms pull data directly from single tables.

If I use the form to simply page through records, everything looks fine (even on the subform that I've temporarily deleted). But when I try to filter by form, the results are nothing but the background color. No controls visible at all.

I sort of suspect the queries. In case it might help, here are the SQL views of them:
Form feeder
SELECT [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Current_Catalog_ID, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].BibID, Holdings.Batch_Label, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Online_Complete, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Year_Published, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Creator_Name, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Full_Title, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].[Post-scan_QC_ID], [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Title_ID, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Accepted, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Who_Accepted, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Declined, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Who_Declined, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Release_Date, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Release_User, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Missing_Content, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Skews, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Other, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Wrong_Files_Attached, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Missed_in_Print_QC, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Archives_Copy_Present, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Dissertation, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].PQ_PDF_Downloaded, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].No_PDF_at_PQ, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].PQ_PDF_No_Help, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Review_During_Cleanup, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Archive_Copy_Needed, Batches.Fixes_Batch, Print_QC.Print_QC_Passed, Print_QC.Print_QC_Worker, Print_QC.Number_of_Pages, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Rights_Statement, [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Copyright_Name, Print_QC.Print_QC_ID, Holdings.Holding_ID, Holdings.Title_ID AS [Holdings Title ID]
FROM [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC] INNER JOIN (Print_QC INNER JOIN (Holdings LEFT JOIN Batches ON Holdings.Batch_Label = Batches.Batch_Label) ON Print_QC.Holding_ID = Holdings.Holding_ID) ON [Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Current_Catalog_ID = Holdings.Current_Catalog_ID
WHERE (((Holdings.Batch_Label) Is Not Null) AND (([Titles_and_Post-scan_QC].Accepted) Is Null) AND ((Print_QC.Print_QC_Passed)=Yes))
ORDER BY Holdings.Batch_Label, Print_QC.Print_QC_ID;

Join query in the form feeder query
SELECT [Post-scan_QC].Title_ID, Titles.Current_Catalog_ID, Titles.BibID, Titles.Online_Complete, Titles.Year_Published, Titles.Creator_Name, Titles.Copyright_Name, Titles.Full_Title, [Post-scan_QC].[Post-scan_QC_ID], [Post-scan_QC].Accepted, [Post-scan_QC].Who_Accepted, [Post-scan_QC].Declined, [Post-scan_QC].Who_Declined, [Post-scan_QC].Missing_Content, [Post-scan_QC].Skews, [Post-scan_QC].Other, [Post-scan_QC].Wrong_Files_Attached, [Post-scan_QC].Missed_in_Print_QC, [Post-scan_QC].Review_During_Cleanup, [Post-scan_QC].Release_Date, [Post-scan_QC].Release_User, Titles.Archives_Copy_Present, Titles.Dissertation, Titles.PQ_PDF_Downloaded, Titles.No_PDF_at_PQ, Titles.PQ_PDF_No_Help, Titles.Archive_Copy_Needed, Titles.Rights_Statement
FROM Titles INNER JOIN [Post-scan_QC] ON Titles.Title_ID = [Post-scan_QC].Title_ID;

Of course, since I took up space with the SQL, the problem will probably have nothing to do with the queries…

Any help will be much appreciated,
G.W.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. I have never tried using Filter By Form before. Does it normally work with subforms too? If not, then you might have to try something else. Can you post a screenshot of your forms?

Philocthetes

Local time
I've not had luck yet with filtering from a subform, but when the master and child fields are linked properly I have no trouble filtering a main form and having the subforms pull the related data.

I don't think I have enough forum juju to post caps, but I put a snap of the problem form in Design view in https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s8v48l1dnrrc70o/AADlLkSxgwjWHFiQJnAISIQ1a?dl=0

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I've not had luck yet with filtering from a subform, but when the master and child fields are linked properly I have no trouble filtering a main form and having the subforms pull the related data.

I don't think I have enough forum juju to post caps, but I put a snap of the problem form in Design view in https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s8v48l1dnrrc70o/AADlLkSxgwjWHFiQJnAISIQ1a?dl=0
Hi. Just a quick question, when you apply the filter, are you sure there is a main record and corresponding sub record that exist for the selection you made for the filter? Just checking...

Philocthetes

Local time
Hi. Just a quick question, when you apply the filter, are you sure there is a main record and corresponding sub record that exist for the selection you made for the filter? Just checking...

Yes, the main record is there. On my other forms with subforms, filter-by-form on the main record functions regardless of whether related records for the subforms exist.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes, the main record is there. On my other forms with subforms, filter-by-form on the main record functions regardless of whether related records for the subforms exist.
Hi. Thanks. But like I said earlier, I don't really use FBF. Perhaps, the only way to help you is to actually see your form. Are you able to share it?

Philocthetes

Local time
Hi theDBguy. I think your 03:55 post came to me by mindmail. I added a stripped-down version of my database to the shared folder linked above, went to post about it, and found your request.

The working form is Track_Catalog_Work. To test it, filter by form, enter 025210211 in the Catlog ID field, and toggle the filter. Two holdings are accessible in the Holding info area and the Catalog work notes area is empty because no matching note exists.

On the Post_QC_Form, if you filter by UFDC Bib ID using AA00047137, the form goes blank. The Clear All Filters command returns the controls to view. AA00047137 maps to 025210211. You can see that in the Titles table.

One esoteric data point: I have a gift/curse--I regularly get "Hmm, I've never seen that before" from IT support pros. Happens with both apps and operating systems. My current bête noire is Outlook 2016 and/or Exchange…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom