Outlook Express POP3 problem (1 Viewer)

sandhurstUK

Must change my user name
Local time
Today, 04:49
Guys I really need your help, as this is doing my nut in !!

Just to explain first - this is a stand alone home PC not connected to a network.

I took the decision to move from Win98SE to XP, so reformatted my drive and installed XP no problem so far.

Set up my email account in Outlook Express - no problem - mail comes in and goes out - smashing.

However - every time I close down the PC and then switch on again, when opening my Outlook Express I get a dialouge box:

Please enter your user name and password for the following server"

The incoming POP3 shows server 127.0.0.1

When I go to Tools - Accounts - I find that my Incoming POP3 which should be mail.btinternet.com has been replaced by 127.0.0.1.

I can change it to what it should be ie mail.btinternet.com and it all works fine for the session, but as soon as I switch off the PC and back on again it has reset again to 127.0.0.1

This was not happening with Win 98SE and is most frustrating.

Incidentally, I am attached to the net via a router and ethernet.

Any ideas would be immensley appreciated

Thanks

Ian

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
It's probably something to do with anti-virus scanning check the settings of your anti-virus software and make sure it allows an external pop3 address while still scanning your emails.

You can also check that Outlook is not changing your connection so go to Tools> e-mail accounts > your account > change > more settings > on the general tab check "Manually control connection state"

If you need more halp post back you Outlook version and anti-virus software.

sandhurstUK

Must change my user name
Local time
Cheers Minky,

I forgot also to mention in my initial mail that I had installed Macafee at the same time as installing XP.

It transpires that you need to update your POP3 mail accounts via the Mcafee software, and once this had been done it worked fine.

WHY DON'T THEY TELL YOU THAT UPFRONT !!! - Ah well, it seems to be all sorted now.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom