PC not recognizing min-DVDs (1 Viewer)

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:00
I have recorded something onto a mini-DVD, using a Canon DV-100camcorder. When I put the disc into my DVD player, it plays fine. When I put it into my PC, however, nothing happens for a while, then a message tells me to insert a disc.

Is the reason that the PC doesn't recognize these size discs that I need to install some new software? If so, any ideas on where I might download or buy it?

If I've missed out any vital information, please feel free to ask for further details.

Thanks for any help.

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
you have a program on your pc that will play DVDs correct?

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for responding.
Honest answer? I don't know. Unless it came with the computer, no, as I haven't installed one. I've never tried watching a DVD that way before.:eek:

I didn't realise that the mini versions were read by the same software as the 'normal' ones (for some reason, I had it in mind that the size made more of a difference than the format).

Okay, embarrassment aside for a moment....

Is that something you can get free from a website or will I need to buy it.

rainman89

Local time
windows media player will usually play them for you. other players such as
vlc will play it. its free:D:D

Another thing to make sure is that your drive will support mini DVDs. some dont.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
windows media player will usually play them for you. other players such as
vlc will play it. its free:D:D

Another thing to make sure is that your drive will support mini DVDs. some dont.
Windows Media Player is already installed, so I can cross that option off.:(
I'll try downloading the VLV one.

Is there some property I can check to say for definite if the drive supports mini-DVDs? There is a slot for them, but taht doesn't seem to mean anything.
I'm trying to anticipate whatever questions I may have later on, as the PC is at home, so I can't test this out until then.

rainman89

Local time
you will have to check the manufacturers site or your book that came with the player to make sure

if you know what kind of burner/player it is, that will help narrow it down. other than that you might have to get teh model # and search from there

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Will do.

Thanks for the help and I'll post how it turns out.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:00
Windows Media Player is already installed, so I can cross that option off.:(

Depending on what version iirc Media Player does not play DVD's by default, you have to enable the option and maybe even have to download codec packs.

I'll try downloading the VLV one.

That should work

Is there some property I can check to say for definite if the drive supports mini-DVDs? There is a slot for them, but taht doesn't seem to mean anything.
I'm trying to anticipate whatever questions I may have later on, as the PC is at home, so I can't test this out until then.

It should be fine the drive simply reads the data on the disk it's the software that makes it 'playable' (in this circumstance), but if you search for the make and model you should be able to confirm it.

Though:

then a message tells me to insert a disc.

This is a little odd as this points to the drive not being able to read the disk :confused: - Windows should have asked what program to use (if none were associated with a DVD) or at least opened the "what do you want to do with this" dialogue box (if you have autoplay turned off).

Can you check when the disk is in can you see any files via explorer on the drive ?

R

Rich

Depending on what version iirc Media Player does not play DVD's by default, you have to enable the option and maybe even have to download codec packs.

In fact if there isn't another programme installed capable of playing back DVD's media player can't play them

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for all the feedback.

I tried downloading and using the VLC application but no luck. That is, it installed and opened fine, but it wouldn't recognize the DVD as being a valid disc (I experimented wiith Region 1, Region 2 and a mini-DVD).

Windows should have asked what program to use (if none were associated with a DVD) or at least opened the "what do you want to do with this" dialogue box (if you have autoplay turned off).
I was hoping for this one.
Can you check when the disk is in can you see any files via explorer on the drive ?
Nope.

I think this going to fall into the category of 'I really don't have the time or patience to work out what's wrong' and I'll pay some local place to just get everything working.

Thanks, again, for the suggestions, though.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
In fact if there isn't another programme installed capable of playing back DVD's media player can't play them

You can do it with the right codec pack K Lite Codec pack ;)

Nope.

That a little worrying if the drive is not seeing any files then it wont play.

If you have a bit more patience these are the steps I'd take:

Check which formats your drive supports DVD RW+/- etc.

Check you finalise the disk from the your Camcorder also if you have the options to change format then make sure it's compatible with your drive.

But to make it easy do you have a firewire port on your PC then you could capture the footage directly from the camcorder - I assume the camcorder came with software (if not I can recommend a few ;))

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks but installing Nero cured the problem caused by WindozeXP in the first place:mad:;)

:D:p true - tbh for DVD's I always use PowerDVD (got the full free version with my new DVD re-writer) but if I hadn't I'd use VLC, for a free program it rocks, I always use it for any other video playback the quality is much better than Media Player.

Slightly off topic - It also does streaming much better than Media Player - I always get pauses with media player (live radio or video from the BBC for example) despite optimising the settings but VLC plays anything flawlessly.

R

Rich

I had Power DVD installed with the pc but when it crashed and with no recovery option and a fresh purchase of Windows I was not prepared to pay for anymore:mad:;)

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 23:00
I have recorded something onto a mini-DVD, using a Canon DV-100camcorder. When I put the disc into my DVD player, it plays fine. When I put it into my PC, however, nothing happens for a while, then a message tells me to insert a disc.

Thinking about this issue, I realized that one need to "finalize" the disc before
you can run it on your PC. Not sure who that would be done with the
DV-100, but I guess that will do the trick.

Hth

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Thinking about this issue, I realized that one need to "finalize" the disc before
you can run it on your PC. Not sure who that would be done with the
DV-100, but I guess that will do the trick.

Hth
Apologies for not getting back sooner, but as there's been no change I didn't rush to update.

Firstly, yes, VLV was a typo, I did mean VLC. Downloaded, installed, and still no good.

Secondly, the disc was finalized. I figured this would need to be done, but it didn't help, either.

I'm going to have to take the PC to someone who knows what they're doing - not that you guys don't, but I'm clueless about this stuff - and pay to get it sorted out properly.

One again, thanks for the suggestions.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
I'm going to have to take the PC to someone who knows what they're doing - not that you guys don't, but I'm clueless about this stuff - and pay to get it sorted out properly.

One again, thanks for the suggestions.

Hang on ;) you've said you can't see any files via explorer this indicates that the drive is not able to read the data - now I guarantee a PC repair shop will advise a new drive which is fair enough but they will charge over the odds to do this.

Did you check to see if you can change the type of disk or finalising format is compatible with your drive ?

Can you post your make and model of DVD drive please this may help.

If you want to take it to a repair shop then please do but if we can find an incompatibility of the drive it's actually reasonably simple to replace yourself (with minimal PC knowledge - see this thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom