Calculation don't work as I expect (1 Viewer)

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:58
The DB from this thread post #13 has a single report.
In that report you will see a calculation (red controls) that don't work as I expect.
Are you so kind to make me understand what is wrong here ?

Thank you !

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:58
That is totaly strange, executing the same DSum in the immediate window does return the proper value

I am absolutely clueless as to why it isnt displaying the proper amount?

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for your time, namliam.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 12:58
I posted this on the other thread:

I found the fix. I can't explain why your DSUM doesn't work, but I did get the right answer when I enclosed the field you were summing with quote marks:

=DSum("[Pharm]","qryEvlCharges","[early]=" & [early])

When I put quote marks around [Pharm] it returned the correct value.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:58
I can't explain why your DSUM doesn't work, but I did get the right answer when I enclosed the field you were summing with quote marks:

=DSum("[Pharm]","qryEvlCharges","[early]=" & [early])

It is important to realise that the first argument of the DOmain functions is not a fieldname but an expression.

Without the quotes, the DSum is fed the value from the Pharm control in the current record. Hence the function returns that value multiplied by the number of records.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you (all of you) for yours time and help.
While now I know how to fix in the future errors like this, still I don't understand Galaxiom's explanation.
So, Galaxiom, can you try, for me, to be a little bit more explicit ? Thank you.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:58
DSum(Expr As String, Domain As String, [criteria])

You can put anything in that first argument. Though it is mostly used to return a fieldname it doesn't have to be. It can be useful for returning multiple fields formatted to your heart's content. For example, using a DLookup for a full name from multiple fields in a single command ControlSource.

Meanwhile any expression in the context of the form is tried against the controls and fields collections of that form. So when the literal was fed to the DSum instead of a string, the value of the control by the same name was read.

The DSum dutifully summed the integer fed to its Expr argument, just as if you had written:
SELECT SUM(2345) AS A FROM whatever

You get the number of records times the integer.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
@Galaxiom
Thank you !!!!
This open new ways in using this functions.
Indeed. Until now I have think that the "Expression" argument require a field name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom