MS Access 97 Crashing (1 Viewer)

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:19
Hi I have MS Access 97 that has been very stable. This week I am suddenly presented with a situation where I'm able to open my program but it then crashes after a few seconds. This program has evolved over many years and I have saved a lot of previous versions which also crash. Would appreciate any assistance please.
Regards to all.
Keith

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 15:19
Is it a Front-end and Back-end application? Then look if you've some "strange" data.
Have you tried a "Compact & Repair"?
Have you tried open it on another computer, because it sound strange that all versions crash.

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Hi JHB,
I don't know what you mean by 'front end and back end application'. Due to it crashing quickly there's no time to access to code, tables, forms or macros. It crashes on the club server and my laptop at home.
Regards
Keith

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hi JHB,
I don't know what you mean by 'front end and back end application'.

It means a "split" database with the tables in one database and links to those tables, the queries, forms and reports in another.

What version of Windows are you running it on? It is possible that a Windows update has broken Access 97 databases. Microsoft probably would not even contemplate what updates might do to such an out of date version of Access.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you so much for explaining and assisting JHB. Tried both compacting and repairing with no luck. It's possible Access will allow me to build a new database but I can't access the data or more importantly the code.
Regards
Keith

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
What if you open another database or only MS-Access without a database, still crashing?

Take a backup of your database first.
Did you try to create a new database and do the import from the new one?

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
MS access allows me to get to where I can create another database.But I cannot open any of the Wizard databases.

I think I am able to create another database but haven't tried yet.

shatteras

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:19
I have a similar problem earlier... tried this and that, and then I noticed while painstakingly checking each form that the problem was with the macro.
I disabled all macros, then closed the database, and when I opened it no more crashing. except macros are disabled. then I re-enabled it again, then close, then reopen my database, and now everything is working again... I am now trying to figure out what the hell happened, maybe it's a security/antivirus issue because of the codes. I hope the same solution will help you resolve your problem.

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks shatteras - If only I could access the macros!!
Regards
Keith

shatteras

Registered User.
Local time
well, as mentioned by JHB, if you can open ms access only... not your database.

and then go to the trust center settings. disable it from there. I hope that helps. I understand the frustration, been there like few hours ago LOL!

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Forgive me if I appear to be a novice which I am. To explain......I can open a different database in Access not the one I'm having trouble with.

I'm using Access 97. What are the trust center settings. Where do I find them in Access?

Regards
And Lol to you too!

shatteras

Registered User.
Local time
it's okay, I'm novice too ;) ,

when you open MS ACCESS, not your database,.. click on "FILE" upper left corner,
then "OPTIONS", a new window should pop up, then from the list on the left of that pop up window, you'll see 'TRUST CENTER", then click that, and then there should be a button there "TRUST CENTER SETTINGS". click that and another window should pop up, then from the list again on the left, click "MACRO SETTINGS". then choose "DISABLE MACROS WITHOUT NOTIFICATION". all your macros will be disabled (but don't worry it won't be deleted. after that, close the MS ACCESS program, then try opening your database.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:19
i think there is no trust center in A97.
have you tried decompiling your db.
on command prompt:

c:\office path\msaccess.exe /decompile yourdbpath_and_name_plus_extension

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:19
Can you open your database without the macro's - press the shift key while opening. That will stop any automatic code running.

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Hi arnelgp
No I haven't tried that. My OS is Windows 7 which I think does not support a command prompt. What will decompling do?
Regards

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Tried using the shift key...unfortunately that doesn't work. Database still crashes after opening........Grrrrr very frustrating

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:19
sometimes code sections in your db get mis aligned therefore cannot be processed at runtime, that is why it is decompiled to reset to its native structure.

of course you have command prompt, type cmd in your start menu box.

or better create a shortcut on your desktop.
right click on blank space on your desktop.
select new shortcut.
point to the path where msaccess.exe is located.
after you have located it add /decompile at the end of this path.
save it as Decompile.

run this shortcut and open your db. after it is opened successfully close the db again.
do this at least 2 times.

open your db as normal.

Keith166

Registered User.
Local time
Hi shaterras,
My Access 97 does not have 'Options' in your location. I only have Options in 'Tools'.
When I open that location there are 10 tabs in Options and your 'Trust Center Settings' is nowhere to be found there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom