Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #16
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,647 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough
Re: Adventures in Cable Cutting

We recently upgraded to the UK SKY Q system. 2Tb hard drive main Q box.
One set of dish cables to a main box, and Q 'mini' boxes round the rest of the house. They connect wirelessly using their own mesh network.

Completely new Dish LNB , lets us record/watch upto 7 channels simultaneously or any recorded content. Also some main box channels are now available in UHD !

Very clever, does rely heavily on your broadband connection for any "on Demand" content. Not cheap - full package cost s approx 90 per month with Broadband costs on top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #17
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
After the USA FCC rescinded the "net neutrality" rules, prices were SURE to rise because in essence, the corporate pigs have unlimited rights to gouge you. Some of the price increases are starting to show up. NETFLIX is boosting prices by 13% to nearly 20%.

At the moment, AT&T is pushing DirectTV, which they bought, over their other line, UVerse. The problem in south Louisiana is that we have frequent "pop-up" showers and I've seen some commercial DirectTV installations when the rain kicks in. Instant loss of signal for a shower of no particular intensity. Which is why I am not going to one of the dish-oriented providers.

The "happy wife, happy life" rule works here too. Between HGTV and the Hallmark channels, 2/3 of the stuff recorded on the DVR is hers. She is still catching up to all the saccharine-sweet Christmas movies that she recorded. Just in time for the Valentine's Day blitz. <sarcasm> I'm thrilled. </sarcasm>
Content providers aren't really the ones impacted by net neutrality restrictions being lifted as much as the service providers. They stated they are raising prices to support their content production, which makes sense.
They are producing content at almost a hilarious rate and are getting into quite a debt situation.

Comcast sent me a warning for the first time since the rules were rescinded that I was using excessive data and that I would be charged extra if it happened again. I've also read that they are considering a tiered system based on people who use a lot of bandwidth for streaming content from the top streaming platforms. Those are the real dangers of not having net neutrality. Paying extra to access the content you want, though the actual bandwidth cost is the same, just because they can. They may take contracts with certain content providers to cost less than content providers they don't have deals with. I'm afraid this is only the beginning of the madness.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #18
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

I once had Playstation's streaming service for live tv set up on my Fire and Playstation systems. It was pretty spiffy and MUCH cheaper than cable. I currently have DirecTV because I could not resist the NFL Sunday Ticket package last year, but as soon as the contract is up, I'm cutting it and going strictly streaming. I'm not sure yet if I will buy another streaming service for live tv though.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #19
scott-atkinson
I'm with the Witch.......

scott-atkinson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
Not cheap - full package cost s approx 90 per month with Broadband costs on top.
Geez, you must really like watching the Tele... lol
Old 01-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #20
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,952 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Instant loss of signal for a shower of no particular intensity.
I don't know if technology has advanced or we're just lucky, but we haven't had that problem. It was snowing hard last night and we didn't have any problems with our TV reception (Dish, not DirectTV if it matters). Rain doesn't typically affect it either.

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #21
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-atkinson View Post
Maybe he's married too...

Anyone on DirectTv Now but using a VPN for this? Seems doable according to Google.
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #22
cygnus
Newly Registered User

cygnus is on a distinguished road

We're going to need another solution for watching Netflix and Hulu, because apparently Nintendo is going to end support for the wii later this month? So annoying! We haven't had cable for years, and that's OK...binge-watching is more my style anyway.

cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #23
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

The net neutrality repeal doesn't result in Netflix raising prices - it results in carriers deliberately blocking or slowing access to competitors and political opponents, and to internet plans that look like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NetNeutralityRepealResults.jpg (94.5 KB, 64 views)

Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #24
Steve R.
Retired

Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
We're going to need another solution for watching Netflix and Hulu, because apparently Nintendo is going to end support for the wii later this month? So annoying! We haven't had cable for years, and that's OK...binge-watching is more my style anyway.
You should be able to replace your Nintendo with one of the devices listed below to watch Netflix and HULU. This also assumes that you have an HDMI slot available on your TV.

Amazon FireTV

Roku

Chromcast

Sorry to hear that Nintendo is going to end support for the WII. Does that pertain to all models? We never bought one, but had considered buying a WII at one time.

Last edited by Steve R.; 01-17-2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:42 AM   #25
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,647 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-atkinson View Post
Four adults in the house - so necessary evil...

And we get everything for that; sports, movies, HBO, netflix and On demand services from the major UK broadcasters all integrated into the same PVR planner. I have to say that the UI is one of the best I've ever encountered.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:14 AM   #26
kevlray
Newly Registered User

kevlray will become famous soon enough

I been seriously considering cutting the cable in our house. We have DirecTV, but paying way too much for the small number of channels we watch (probably less than 20 and five of those are local over the air channels). But we will miss our DVR.

kevlray is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: