Feel the Bern (1 Viewer)

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Today, 01:28
I've been on the fence regarding Hillary (ugh) and Bernie (good ideas but um...really?).
I decided - I'm going with Bernie all the way - and Not just because of his resounding WIN in NH primary yesterday.

I'm going with my heart instead of with my head this time.
Bernie represents the only hope that we have as a nation, to be who we say we are: fair, just, with freedom and equality - and all that stuff.
Hillary has the executive skills to be an average president.
Bernie has the ideals and the vision to be stupendous.
FEEL THE BERN
FEEL THE BERN
FEEL THE BERN

Now it's good that some of the GOP demagogues (like C Christie) have been sent packing. I guess the voters decided that one loudmouth douchbag was enough so they put their money on Trump.

But I'm terrified of what might happen if he or one of the other demagogues is elected. I shudder at the thought. I realize there are right wing nutjobs on the forum, as well as more moderate republican backers (not saying who is who - you know who you are). Well - do you want a loudmouth, foul thinking ahole as the POTUS or would you rather have a good, decent, sincere and respectful person - who stands for the little guy instead of the billionaires? Or, for that matter, a dubious scandal ridden woman who we have all had a bellyful of, since about 1992?

What's it going to be people?????

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I'm going with Bernie all the way - and Not just because of his resounding WIN in NH primary yesterday.
Was it a win?

Clinton has 394 delegates, both super and electorally assigned, to only 42 for Sanders.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Was it a win?

Clinton has 394 delegates, both super and electorally assigned, to only 42 for Sanders.

I guess it depends on what is being counted.

You're counting all the delegates so far - I was remarking about the New Hampshire primary only.

Delegates (of 24):
Sanders (won) 15
Clinton 9
O'Malley 0

Vote Percent:
Sanders (won) 60.4%
Clinton 38%
O'Malley 0.3%

Seems like a win in New Hampshire to me. But it's a long way from the nomination and an even longer way from the Whitehouse.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
There are still a lot of primaries and caucuses yet to happen, but 1,237 and 2,382 are the magic numbers for the GOP and Democratic parties respectively.

The popular vote will not save you, if the magical numbers have been reached.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:28
Libre, I think Hil's ... excesses (shall we say?) started before 1992. When she and Bill were political forces in Arkansas, there were a LOT of questionable things going on before Bill came to the national scene. I've seen a video about mysterious deaths that usually involved people going to sleep with their necks on railroad tracks, but of course that was an "unauthorized" publication. The Clintons sued (cease and desist distribution order) to get that video suppressed. But I agree with you that Hil as POTUS would be a disaster.

The "private mail server" scandal ALONE is enough for me to know that she doesn't care about such minor things as the National Secrets Act and its implications. You just KNOW that the 22 items on her mail server that were recently in the headlines will be blamed on somebody else (as is typical of Washington insiders).

Even so, the fact remains that on an unsecured server, a review board identified 22 messages that SHOULD have been classified as TOP SECRET/CAS, which is the highest possible level of classification for a document. The National Secrets Act also makes it clear that failing to properly classify a document is in and of itself a crime. Then, placing Top Secret documents on an unsecured server is a separate offense.

OK, as Secretary of State, she might well have been the "owner" of the document and as a cabinet head could legally have forced a re-classification, because that position would have made her the Classification Authority... but that leads to yet another problem. The National Secrets Act also describes the proper procedure for downgrading a document's security including the format of the classification history log that MUST accompany any document that was downgraded - but the documents in question do not appear to have had those markings, either.

What will probably happen is that the poor schmuck who had to be her mail server administrator will take the heat for a major security violation and she'll get off unscathed yet again even though the National Secrets Act prescribes a hefty fine and a few years behind bars. The fact that her server administrator should have known and acted does not relieve her of individual responsibility for proper document handling. That, too, is covered under the National Secrets act. It is not only the administrator's duty to properly handle documents. It is expressly the legal duty for ALL USERS of a classified document to continue to assure its proper handling. So she's still legally on the hook even if the heat will fall on the administrator first.

I guess I've spent too many years dealing with sensitive documents while working for the D.o.D. because to me this is a really (incandescently) hot button. (Could ya tell?) But it is one reason why I think Hil is unfit to be POTUS. If we thought Obama played fast and loose with the rules (such as executive orders usurping the power of Congress), I don't want to THINK what Hil would do when she gets where she can ignore the rules, too.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
DocMan
Here's where I stand:
I'm not enamored of Hillary - there are many questionable acts and tactics, surpressed details of possible illegalities, not to mention her shrill manner of speech and self-serving comments (she is, after all, a politician). Having said all that, I'd take her in an instant over ANY of the GOP candidates. It is not an exaggeration to say that the very thought of any of them winning the presidency is enough to make me cringe and vomit. But then there's Bernie.
You know, I'm not all that politically aware/active. I'm a poor schmuck who reads the news, remembers what the candidates say to an extent, and I understand that there are shenanigans all around and the government - or ANY organization - can't operate effectively, 100% on the straight and narrow.
By the way, I have also had classified and secret clearance - never TOP secret though. I took my responsibilities extremely seriously - even denied my superior access to documentation because I had higher clearance than he did (and boy, was he ever pissed at me). But that was long ago.
Maybe Bernie is as bad as the rest - but he certainly has the earmarks of a kind and decent guy. Nobody is without sin - even we atheists know that. But Bernie is the guy I want as our next POTUS. Not that I think the congress will give him any sort of a break - he's not Black but he's a Jew, and a liberal one at that. He's in for a tough time should he win. But I pray to the God I don't believe in that he does.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 04:28
And superdelegates can, and WILL, change their mind by the time their vote actually counts. They always do. This is their way of trying to swing the election.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:28
I don’t know how I stumbled across this post, but Vassago and AB were almost prophetic. Kinda eerie when you step through the past like this...

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Oddly, I think Bert Reynolds would have done better at the polls than ANY of the actual candidates. Then again his platform would have been "What scandal do I cause THIS week" and his catch phrase would be "Hold my beer".

I don't think he'd do any WORSE than "Bernie", "Hillary", or "The Donald", but he would be more entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom