Long Weekend (1 Viewer)

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Today, 16:32
Long weekend coming up - the rest of my life!
("retiring" on April 14, which is also the day I started at this job 8 years previous, and is also my 65th birthday!).

It's been fun, it's been grand, and sometimes it's been quite a bore.
I have a lot of things I want to do.
Starting by renting an RV for a month and visiting some places I always wanted to see:
Cleveland (that's for the wife who's retiring same day as me - she wants to visit R & R Hall of Fame);
Des Moines (visiting our financial advisor who made this all possible - PM me if you want her name - she's some kind of a finiancial wizzard to have helped me pull this off);
Mount Rushmore;
Yellowstone;
Monument Valley;
Nashville (Country Music Hall of Fame - wife again);
Shanendoah Valley - Skyline Drive;
finally home again.

Best part? When we get home we don't have to go back to work!
I'll be busking on Classical Guitar in Central Park - more than ever.
Doing some Access programming as well, for a nice consulting rate.
I will check in now and then to see what's what.

A shout out to some of my friends here:
Brian, Doc Man, Colin - I'll be joining you in old fogie bliss.
Frothingslosh, get over it, it's not that bad!
Bladerunner - I like you.
In fact there's nobody here I don't like.
I like everyone. Everyone's got their own perspective on things. Nobody is just "wrong" to think what they think and feel the way they feel. It's easy for me to see that - why can't a big part of the world see it too?

Signing off for awhile.
NO!
If anyone has some tips for an RV newbie, I'll be all ears - or eyes, I guess.
My rig is a 25' rental from Cruise America - seems very well equipped.
Had to bribe the wife with promises of hotels at least once/twice a week.
And of course with the music hall of fame stops.
Might even drop in on Graceland to see Elvis.
(no classical music hall of fame, at least not in 'Murrika).

Stay in the hunt everyone - that is, unless you have better things to do - which I all of a sudden have.

Your well meaning and very perceptive, deep and introspective - but sometimes extremely stupid, and highly emotional friend,
Libre (Marc)

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:32
godbless you always!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Awesome, congratulations!

Awesomo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:32
Wow, that sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:32
Haven't set a precise date yet but later this summer, I will be taking the plunge. This is the year I turned 68 and also the 28th anniversary of contractor service to the USA Dept. of the Navy. My dear wife and I will be looking forward to a time when we can turn off the early alarm clock setting (for me) and sometimes even turn it off for her.

Of course, as long as we have to help with the #2 grandson (now 9 years old) we can't travel too far for too long - but we will be looking at getting the kid's other grandmother more involved in case we want a long weekend for a short-range driving vacation.

I'll still be online but my primary database will no longer be a driving issue for me. I have Ac2013 at home so I can research some stuff, and I have a chance to perhaps teach a class or two at a local business college - maybe if I decide I really want to - so I won't necessarily be totally idle. Besides, the wife's "honey-do" list will prevent me from having too much time on my hands.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 19:32
Congratulations. Have an enjoyable and rewarding "weekend".

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'll probably leave behind my files for others who will be taking my place. But most of what I leave will be digital documentation.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Some of my valuable work related documentation.
Doesn't seem like "secure" storage. Any of it classified?

A sad story of what may become of "valuable work related documentation" following staff departures. One of my projects was to update an ancient (mainframe) database as it was scheduled to be shutdown. Overtime, both the documentation and original support staff had slowly disappeared. After a lot of work; I decoded the database, prepared new documentation, and developed a Microsoft Access program to upload the data to SQL Server. Well its been two years since I retired and nothing was done. The old inefficient user unfriendly database is still in use. Given the apparent "abandonment" by management, I suspect, that my "valuable work related documentation" (like its predecessor) is doomed for oblivion, to be stuffed in a forgotten file cabinet (Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind).

I hope that your "valuable work related documentation" will live on. Enjoy your "weekend" and don't let the past haunt you.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
it's not classified. i put it in the designated waste containers.
it's not really important (just kidding when I said it was)
anything that is, is all digitized - in the system that I designed and built.
if I thought it would benefit anyone I would have left it.
i haven't referred to this material in ages.

but you guys are right - i took the pic down.
conveys the wrong message.

by the way I am (was) the documentation supervisor here - I do know what I'm doing. Still and again, wrong message. Thanks

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I found it humorous. But then again, my sense of humor may be "off".

My Microsoft Access work was incidental to my primary job of project permitting. My permitting work did not involve "classified" material from the national security perspective. However, it did involve documents that were "confidential", hence my quip. When I took over the job that I just retired from, I had to clean-out (recycle) a massive amount of prior documentation that had become "obsolete", some of which had to shredded. Amazing how people tend to retain stuff; no matter how trivial, irrelevant, or out-of-date. In cleaning-out the prior documentation I had a stack of blue recycle containers. I will assume that my replacement will also be vigorously recycling and shredding documents that would now be considered irrelevant. Your picture would fit right-in.

Last edited:

Libre

been around a little
Local time
That is very much the case here, Steve.
I did mean it to be funny, but somehow the humor seemed to turn sour.

Really was trying to do the next guy a good turn, actually. Trying to leave the work space as I found it - he'll have his own trivia to store - just getting rid of outdated paperwork.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've set aside a shared area on one of our servers where I keep critical documentation and update it when possible. I don't want to leave my co-workers TOTALLY in the dark. Come August (maybe), I'll be done and can give them clean copies of everything that they will need to carry on. They'll know where it goes, too.

The only trick is to clean out literally almost 3 decades of mail and obsolete documentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom