How to install SQL Server native Client 11.0? (1 Viewer)

deletedT

Local time
Today, 16:21
I'm trying to download and install SQL Server Native Client 11.0 on some of our machines. At present they have only SQL Server driver.

According to This Microsoft Document I must download and install SQL Server 2012 Feature pack.

Clicking the link provided in mentioned page leads me to this page.. But I can't find the feature Pack in download list.

I don't want to install the whole SQL express.
Can anybody explain which one has to be downloaded?

thanks.

deletedT

Local time
Million thanks.
As always you are the one

EDIT:
I downloaded and installed it. But the installed driver name is ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server

I need it to be the exact same name as SQL Server native Client 11.0 because FE uses this driver to connect to sql server.

Any further advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:

deletedT

Local time

The page you sent gives a link for downloading Native Client 11.0 ODBC Driver which sends me to another page. At the bottom of this page there's a link for downloading SQL Server 2012 Feature pack which in turn sends me to Microsoft download page with more than 50 msi links for downloading different features, none of them native client 11.

I have actually moved every one onto Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client , as it was easily found.
How exactly? It's the same thing I'm trying to do. What exactly I should download and where?

Thanks again for your time.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry I'm away from the PC for the weekend. Hopefully someone else might help, if not Monday!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

deletedT

Local time
Tera,
Steve Bishop has a video series on this subject.

HTH

https://www.youtube.com/user/ProgrammingMadeEZ/search?query=odbc

Thanks for your input.
I've almost watched them all. He shows how to program it. But never explained how we can install the driver. I know that installing SQL server on a machine, will install native client 11.0 driver too. But I don't want go installing SQL server on all our machines just to use the driver to access a database on another server.

There should be a way to install the driver only. and I'm still searching google to see if I can find how to.

thanks

deletedT

Local time
Try this link for SQL Server Native Client 2012
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29065
Its one of many 2012 related downloads on that page.

Or if you're going for a newer version, why not jump to 2014, 2016 etc version instead as these are likely to stay available for longer

According to this page there is no native client in 2016 version. The latest is from sql server 2012.

I’ll check your link Monday morning as soon as I’m back to my desk.

Thanks

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks for posting that.
It would appear that the SQL Native Client is also no longer recommended.
According to this link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/oledb/oledb-driver-for-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017, MS have 'undeprecated' (a word I've never heard before) the OLE DB Driver for SQL Server and that will be updated in any future releases
I've only skimmed over the links so far but I'm now, to put it mildly, somewhat confused. I will need to read all those links carefully later to take in exactly what action is appropriate.

Very tempting to suggest you stick with the old driver that's still around and supplied with Access.

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
This will sound bonkers but does anyone have a copy of the Native 11 client ? I'm doing some legacy work and need to use that driver to match a clients systems. Somehow In a moment of "Tidying Up" I seem to have uninstalled it and can't find it anywhere. 🤦‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom