Novice Question (1 Viewer)

givemeitall69

Local time
Today, 15:06
I'm sorry to post such a simple question, but i have looked high and low and cannot get a straight answer for this.

Let me explain the situation. My uncle has an Access Db on his laptop that he uses to maintain his shops inventory. He has a barcode scanner and a nifty program that tracks what he has in storage. The nifty program runs from a Access Db. Now, as you can imagine, he wants a website with all the online shopping facilities and other dongles he can have. So, to put thee problem simply: can he run a website off the Access db without having to move the db? All the packages i have looked at so far require the Db to be on the internet server; but i cannot do this otherwise the nifty program won't work. I'm really not looking to build this; is there an already made solution that will let me do this? all i need is a hosting solution that has the shopping cart pre-built, but that can access my Access db locally.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me...
Regards,
Kim

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:06
givemeitall69 said:
I'm sorry to post such a simple question, but i have looked high and low and cannot get a straight answer for this.

Let me explain the situation. My uncle has an Access Db on his laptop that he uses to maintain his shops inventory. He has a barcode scanner and a nifty program that tracks what he has in storage. The nifty program runs from a Access Db. Now, as you can imagine, he wants a website with all the online shopping facilities and other dongles he can have. So, to put thee problem simply: can he run a website off the Access db without having to move the db? All the packages i have looked at so far require the Db to be on the internet server; but i cannot do this otherwise the nifty program won't work. I'm really not looking to build this; is there an already made solution that will let me do this? all i need is a hosting solution that has the shopping cart pre-built, but that can access my Access db locally.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me...
Regards,
Kim
Your database will still need to be on a server. You can install a server program like Apache on your own machine and connect the machine to the internet. The problem with that is you machine needs to be connected to the internet all the time and you need to apply for a static IP address for your internet connection...etc

In fact, it's so much hassle doing it that way. I would copy only the tables in your existing DB and transfer them to another database that your Host company is providing you such MYSQL and then link it to a ready made shopping list or make one your self...you have more options from there.

Hope this helps,
B

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom