SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (1 Viewer)

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:30
Microsoft is offering a tool that "Automates database migration from Access to SQL Server 2005."

The tool is downloadable from here.

If this is what it sounds like, then it can be a very valuable tool. Has anyone used it? If so, what has your experience been like?

SHADOW

KabirPatel

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:30
I haven't used this particular package, but did try the upsizing wizard.

It was reasonable in migrating the tables and data, but not very good at migrating code.

I would imagine the same would be the case with the .msi you mentioned.

The problems I had were that most of the queries would not compile in SQL Server and when they did, the wizard seemed always to write the stored procs / views in the worst possible way.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:30
KabirPatel said:

I think the wizard you refer to converts the Access database to an Access Data Project (.adp). I don't want to go that direction. Many on this board have written explanations as to why it's ill-advised.

That's why I'm hoping this is a better route.

SHADOW

nandar

Local time
Today, 18:00
Hi,

Is it possible to convert the MS Access Queries to SQL Server 2000 using the upsize wizard. If it how it can be done please give me the details.

Thanks
nanda.

KabirPatel said:

It was reasonable in migrating the tables and data, but not very good at migrating code.

I would imagine the same would be the case with the .msi you mentioned.

The problems I had were that most of the queries would not compile in SQL Server and when they did, the wizard seemed always to write the stored procs / views in the worst possible way.

Anonymous_354

Duct tape lovers UNITE!
Local time
Today, 05:30
I realize this has been a while, but never-the-less...

This is a very good app. Not the upsizing wizard, the other one! It's like an upsizing wizard on steroids! The program converted things when the wizard didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom