Using Access 2007 Properties in Other Versions of Access (1 Viewer)

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:52
Access 2007 has some new form properties, such as Filter On Load. This property which doesn't exist in previous versions will apply the filter from the last time a form was opened to the next time it's opened. Of course this can cause a lot of problems so I want to disable it. Disabling it should be as simple as setting the property to No.

My question is what happens to form properties that are specific to Access 2007 when loaded on computers with other versions? For example, if I have five users on a network and I set this property to No and then create five copies on the respective PCs, where some of them have Access 2007 and some Access 2003? Do other versions of Access simply ignore the property or does it cause a problem somehow?

I've done a simple test by setting the property to No and then moving the file to another computer with Access XP and it appeared to function correctly. I want to know if anyone has specific information about whether it will consistently perform correctly regardless of version or if an Access 2002/2003 Runtime happens to be used.

Thank you

SHADOW

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yesterday, 20:52
another way to test it is to see if the actual code is even there in the 2003 version.

obviously, the properties that are set in 2007 will not even be present in 03, but weather the thing will work or not is dependent on what you set and how it interacts, at what time, and with what else...etc.etc...

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
another way to test it is to see if the actual code is even there in the 2003 version.

Sorry, but what do you mean by "...the actual code"?

I at first considered putting in a line of code in the Load method of the form saying "me.form.FilterOnLoad = False" but then I realized that it would work great on the Access 2007 file but probably crash on the Access 2002-2003 computers.

Hence my question as to if anyone knows how properties that are set in the properties sheet in the Access 2007 file will be regarded in the other versions. Perhaps they don't exist so they are ignored?

How do other people handle this type of thing?

Thanks

SHADOW

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yesterday, 20:52
Perhaps they don't exist so they are ignored?

yes, that's what i am suggesting exactly. but i dont know for sure.

to test it, type some form code in that uses a 2007 property in the code line, then open it in 03 and see if it will run. also, in 03 open the thing up and see if that code line is even in the vb editor, as the property technically shouldn't work because of the version differences. follow?

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
yes, that's what i am suggesting exactly. but i dont know for sure.

to test it, type some form code in that uses a 2007 property in the code line, then open it in 03 and see if it will run. also, in 03 open the thing up and see if that code line is even in the vb editor, as the property technically shouldn't work because of the version differences. follow?

The code will be there, but the intellisense won't pick up on it (obviously) and it will fail to compile.

My question is what happens when it's NOT set in code. The basic test I ran seemed to work ok but I need to know if there is anything definitive on this topic. I can't imagine I'm the only one who's encountered it!

SHADOW

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom