Upgrading MS Office (1 Viewer)

CryLittleSister

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:24
Hi I'm hoping someone with some experience in this may know more than I.

I'm looking to upgrade MS Office at work. But there's FAR too many options and I just wanna :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Basically, I have 20 users so understand that I need 20 individual copies. I've been quoted £180 each by a Microsoft partner for Home and Business 2016.

I'd like to spend less if possible whilst of course remaining legit. Somebody suggested it would be much cheaper to buy 2010 instead but I'm wondering if that will still be useable in years to come. Or rather, will there be a point when we just cannot use it any more?

We probably don't need any features beyond what is already in the 2007 versions and only really need excell, word, outlook and powerpoint.

Definitely don't want 365 as I prefer one outright payment to a subscription service. I am open to any other suggestions also.

Thanks in advance

*Crossposted in the MS Office Forum. I tried to post a link but do not have permission to do so here...*

Last edited:

Ranman256

Local time
Yesterday, 23:24
I wouldn't. This can introduce bugs, Esp if its 2016.
I don't really see a gain. Word still offers bold,and format,and merge. Access still has queries.
You don't gain any new features vs breaking existing ones.

CryLittleSister

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, I should clarify.

I currently have no MS Office at work. I'm looking for the cheapest way to get 20 copies and wondering how much I could save by going for an older version.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:24
Have you priced Volume Licensing? Might be cheaper then 20 copies.

CryLittleSister

Registered User.
Local time
Nah, it's shockingly expensive. I think they quoted me around £3-400 a go

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
Microsoft Partner Network costs £300 to join and allows ten installs of Office Pro 2016.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
providing you don't want to develop at work, use access runtime - it's free, but you wont be able to use things like the ribbon, navigation pane or shortcut menus (right click) unless you write your own.

If you do need to develop at work, you only need the one full version of access.

buy 2010 instead but I'm wondering if that will still be useable in years to come. Or rather, will there be a point when we just cannot use it any more?
useable in years to come? Access 97 is still useable and that is 20+ years old. Many things are changing at faster and faster rates so it is not really a question of not being useable, it's more a question of being able to integrate with perhaps as yet unknown technology. My oldest developed system is still capable of running now, 20 years later, but was upgraded to .accdb four years ago to take advantage of more modern stuff out there. Main prompt to change was the old version could not read .xlsx files and whilst at it redevelop to account for changes in working practices.

Sofiella

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:24
My experience is that you can upgrade your windows 7 or windows 8.1 pro to windows 10, But you can face some technical issues, So I recommend you to have clean installation of Windows 7, windows 8 or Windows 10 and activate it using legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom