WARNING!!! Google Drive Caused Loss of Files (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:15
I'm bumping up near 100 Gigabytes on my personal Google account with Google Drive, email, pictures and everything...

Looking at my options I decided the best option for me would be to start using my Google Business Account in earnest by upgrade from the £3.50 I pay at the moment to the £6 odd and get basically unlimited storage, or not, maybe it's limited to 1 terabyte, depends on where you read about it I reckon..

I want to start using the new Google G Suite;- https://gsuite.google.com/campaigns/index__appmakereap.html

Simple yes! Just move all my stuff from my personal account into my business account... No it's not simple, and worse I've lost some files already! This is a big no no for anyone and particularly for someone concerned with database construction, just the thought of losing information is abhorrent and makes me very uncomfortable...

So this blog is to tell you what I think I've done wrong which hopefully will prevent someone else making the same mistake(s) and maybe somebody can suggest a quick and easy fix (I'm not hopeful).

However on a positive note, I haven't really lost any files as I have two copies, one which is trapped in my personal Google account, I've no idea how to update my hard drive from my Personal GDrive account without running into the delete file problem I've already experienced --- which I'll explain later.

The really easy option (which just needs me to fathom out how to do it) is to download the files from Amazon, where I uploaded them recently after the big scare from the viruses that block your files and hold you to ransom...

I already use Google drive to sync my PC files to my Google drive. I'm very happy with it it's a "wonderful", well I suppose that's going a bit too far it's an OK program.

I thought I'll do just the same with my Google business account. It seems to be working fine until I noticed that a large number of files it could not be processed. I looked into this and discovered that my actual Google Documents are married to my personal account! I am unable to upload them to my business account.

Then I started getting an error from Google Drive Error 311C:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/fFSjKfQI1h0

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2565956?hl=en

As you can see the Google Help is nearly as good as Microsoft actually I find Google a lot worse than Microsoft these days!

I decided to uninstall the Google Drive syncing software and reinstall it...

This is what caused the really big problem and deleted files!

I can only assume that when the Google Drive sync software looked at my Google business account Drive folders it saw that some of the folders were out of sync with my drive.

In other words because I had stopped halfway through the sync routine, not all the files had been uploaded to their respective folders. So the Google Drive Sync software assumed the "MISSING FILES" meant I wanted the files deleted from my hard drive. It started deleting the bloody things!

I reckon I lost about 1000 files but the really shitty thing is it's like three files from this folder, three files from that folder, in other words it's a nightmare!

Anyway, I hope this warning helps someone avoid this particular problem...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
BTW - I think the solution is to delete all of the files from Google Drive before commencing the sync process I haven't tried this yet, will let you know how I get on...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I have yet to work out how to easily move my Google Docs, sheets, slides, everything, from one account to another. The only option I have discovered so far is to make copies. Trouble is this adds "copy of" at the beginning of the filename, and is very slow and time consuming...

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:15
Gizmo,

can't you just share your files to a private account?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Gizmo,

can't you just share your files to a private account?
Now that's a good idea! I was one track thinking, like Move everything...

But you are right! All I need do is share my personal files to the business account.

I'll try it tomorrow and let you know if it's a workable solution..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ducouer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:15
thanks for your warning. I think you can contact Google Drive Support to get lost files recovered then switch to Dropbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom