help for design Access form (1 Viewer)

zubair99

Local time
Yesterday, 19:50
please guide me about link with text box actually me design a database for employee management. all working well but facing issue when need add resignation. am trying to design resignation form where find employee name and show all data there is one check check box with option of active or left its link with table when click active system enter value 1 in table and when check left than add value 2 in table.
now i want text box of left date with checkbox and this text box disable when option active slected.....i want when click left check box left date box enable and i put date of left and save at back end system add value 2 in status Colum mean employee is not active and put date in date of left coulum.
request to all access expert guide me

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 10:50
Instead of numeruc field for Status, make a Yes/ No field. Yes means the employee has left.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 03:50
Welcome to AWF

You just need to include the fields DateLeft and Status (or I would call it Active) in your Employees table.
No need for left joins

As Ariel said, use a Yes/no with a checkbox field for Status (Active) but I suggest the value is yes whilst still employed. The leaving date textbox should be disabled
When an employee leaves just untick the checkbox and enable the leaving date checkbox

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 22:50
An ergonomic design note. Any database form you design should match an existing paper form and/or the sequence of questions to be asked. That way you will not have to visually hunt for the field to be completed.

Also, I tend to design forms so that a new record is not created until the form is complete. Nevertheless, there are situations where you may want to create a new record, even if the form is not complete. You need to keep that in mind so that you don't end-up with a large number of "incomplete" forms. (People sometimes start filing out a form, get interrupted, then never finish or even start a new one because they forgot that they had started a form.

Instead of numeruc field for Status, make a Yes/ No field. Yes means the employee has left.
Not to be difficult, since this is a resignation form; but the response to this field could lead to an ambiguous situation concerning "current employees". I assume that you may have in your database a logical field for "current employees" to differentiate current and past employees. Once the resignation letter is approved, assuming that a field for "current employees" exists, that field has to be flipped to "false".

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:50
We use a EmpStartDate and EmpLeftDate , as it gives clear visibility of current and ex-employees over time.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Having only a Y/N or Status field is insufficient since you also need a TerminationDate. Once you need a date field, there is no reason to have the status field unless you have different levels of termination and need to distinguish between permanent and temporary severance.

I would go with simply a date if all I needed to know was an employee's last day.

Solo712

Registered User.
Local time
please guide me about link with text box actually me design a database for employee management. all working well but facing issue when need add resignation. am trying to design resignation form where find employee name and show all data there is one check check box with option of active or left its link with table when click active system enter value 1 in table and when check left than add value 2 in table.
now i want text box of left date with checkbox and this text box disable when option active slected.....i want when click left check box left date box enable and i put date of left and save at back end system add value 2 in status Colum mean employee is not active and put date in date of left coulum.
request to all access expert guide me

From a db design perspective the resignation table/form should not carry a status of employee (active/inactive). That item should be in the employee table. The employee resignation table should carry only data pertinent to the resignation itself. The reason is that when an employee submits a resignation notice he/she still has active status:

standard:
Resignation ID (PK)
employee no (Foreign key)
date of submitted resignation
effective date of resignation
reasons for leaving
date left

optional:
approved by : manager (employee Fk)
approval date
comments

I would extend the use of this table to include other types of termination (e.g. firing, AWOL, etc).

Best,
Jiri

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom