accdb vs accdr advice (1 Viewer)

ECEK

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:24
Our current system allows me to build our database solutions outside the network then drop them in.

They are build in Access 2016

The network only has Runtime 2016 installed so this is fine. All users can use the accdb front ends easily.

This is also great for the security of the front ends as the user is unable to tinker !

The business has now moved to new servers and have installed Office that includes the full version of Access.

My question is:

Which would be the preferred was of replicating my previous security conscious method?

I can change the file association to accdr but somebody would be able to reverse this and open the front ends.

How do I save my front ends as accdr versions?

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
IMHO it would be best to use ACCDE files but make sure you keep the original ACCDB file in case you need to make alterations to your app.

Last edited:

ECEK

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Bob.
I've tested ACCDE files and you can still get in the back end when you open them with a full version of Access.

I've concluded that (along with some restricting access VBA code) I'm just going to change the file name to ACCDR

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Bob.
I've tested ACCDE files and you can still get in the back end when you open them with a full version of Access.

I've concluded that (along with some restricting access VBA code) I'm just going to change the file name to ACCDR

ACCDR files give you MINIMAL security

With ACCDE files you cannot view the underlying code
You CAN view the tables in the nav pane.
... UNLESS you add code to hide the nav pane as well

No Access db is totally secure but if you want to be as secure as possible you may as well do it properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom