New features in Access 2016 version 1710 (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 17:18
I normally develop in A2010 and only rarely use A2016.
However when I just did so, it showed me these 2 'new features' in version 1710 (Office 365)

Now maybe i'm being stupid but
1. Clicking Ctrl+E did nothing in either a combo box or listbox - design view or form view
2. You've always been able to associate a label with a form control

So I retrieved the message, clicked 'Learn More' and the link didn't mention either of these changes!

So could someone explain to me what if anything either of these actually do that's new

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 644

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:18
Don't know about the editor stuff, but the label name was always arse-backwards anyway. You could not look at a control to find its label. You had to enumerate your way through the collection of controls to look at the parent of each label to match it to the control of your choice. I.e. you could tell by looking at labels who its parent was but could not directly look at a control to know its label. So that means that the new reciprocity is

1. Xlabel.parent ==> Xcontrol

and

2. Xcontrol.label ==> Xlabel

Before this announcement, we only had #1.

AccessJunkie

Senior Managing Editor
Local time
Today, 10:18
Hi,

That 'Learn More' link takes you to our 'What's new in Access' article here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...7af-ace1-98a456cb3496?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Scroll down a bit and expand the June, 2017 section. You'll see more detailed information about these two areas. For the combo box shortcut feature, you have to be using a value list combo box with the Allow Value List Edits property set to Yes.

--------------------
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
Senior Content Publishing Manager - Modern Assistance and Support Experience - Microsoft Corporation
----------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/Copyright/Default.aspx
----------

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks Jeff

Its great to see you contributing your inside knowledge to this forum

In this particular case, I assumed that if items were flagged as being new in version 1710, that's where I'd find information .... rather than 1706! :)
How silly of me!

Whilst I've (hopefully) got your attention, can you advise whether any of these items from the Access user voice forum are in the process of being implemented & if so, when are they likely to appear?
a) Add PowerQuery to Access (similar to the feature in Excel) - 406 votes
b) Add ability to import JSON files into Access (again as in Excel) - 53 votes
c) Improve charting features (again as in Excel ... see the pattern here) - 51 votes
d) Fix the issue with too small form border widths in Access 2016 - 219 votes

I could go on BUT all of these are far more requested than features such as e.g. connecting Power BI to Access which are currently under review

AccessJunkie

Senior Managing Editor
Local time
Hi Colin,

There have been instances where the items displayed in the 'What's new' dialog have been off a bit and at least internally here I've even seen them display features from a different app. That's definitely not good nor by design. I do know that the team working on that interface is trying to get those areas more tightly coupled. Best advice I can give is to look to our 'What's new in Access' article for the most up to date information. I work closely with the product team and release managers to make sure our page is always accurate and up to date.

For your other questions about User Voice and what the product team is working on, I'm afraid I'm not allowed to comment publically. I do know what is on their road map, what they are currently working on, and proposed timelines, I'm just not allowed to comment until it reaches the Insiders ring.

I can say though, just stay tuned. :)

For 'D' though I believe they already made that better. The product team increased the 'hit space' quite a while ago to make it easier to grab and move tables around in the query and relationships window in Access 2016.

--------------------
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
Senior Content Publishing Manager - Modern Assistance and Support Experience - Microsoft Corporation

----------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/Copyright/Default.aspx
----------

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks again Jeff

I thought you might be bound by a confidentiality agreement but I thought I'd try anyway

As for the form border widths, there has been this response from the Access team on the forum:

apologize for an honest mistake with updating the status to Done.
We did fix a similar issue with Query design and Relationship window, but haven’t fixed this one.

Again – sorry for the mix-up.

Michal [MSFT]

I need to withdraw my comment about Power BI - there is a different BI thread with lots of votes. A lot of people still just want Pivot Charts & Tables back which I know isn't going to happen, though not why ....

I'll keep watching that space .... :D

sxschech

Registered User.
Local time
Any chance they'll bring back F4 to open a combo while in SQL Design View as that was a handy way to quickly change field or tables rather than typing or having to use the mouse to open the combo.

The other feature that I've missed was there used to be a combo box that would allow you to "jump" to a specific field/column in the query if you knew the name of the field rather than having to scroll to the field.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I don't remember either of those features but that's not saying much.

Suggest you post both of those in the Access user voice forum.
It SEEMS they are listening ... at least to some requests

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom