Referencing a barcode string in Microsoft Access (1 Viewer)

Alhakeem1977

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:59
In my database I have got a VBA module to generate a barcode, I would like to utilize the barcode to manage the customer s' physical file movement in our organization between departments, but I have an issue that we are the department who maintain this files and who has the barcode readers.

My aim is when the user request a file then he or she should acknowledge it the user will type the Account number but it's very long number, instead of that if I can use another reference with no more than 4 digits I heard about something called (Algorithm) I don't know whether I could use this technique as Allen Browne stated in this site: http://allenbrowne.com/vba-Soundex.html

My source table has two columns:
Account number (6600-123456-600)
Customers Full Name ( John Albert )

The customer may have many files depends on the Account type and may carry the same account number.

Which is the best approach to reference my barcode string to handel this process the Algorithm or something else?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:59
Re: Referring a barcode string in Microsoft Access

I'm not discounting the Soundex function and it has its use, but can we backtrack a little.

If a user is requesting a file, ie the 'Jones' file, you will need to provide a search form/function, whereby the user types in 'Jones' or partial letters thereof and the results are returned, maybe populating a list box. The user then selects the correct entry and continues from there.

The actual barcode is of no consequence to the user other than maybe it's displayed. Sure, you could have a field for searching the barcode, even partial entries (maybe the last four characters).

If the barcode is a string of numbers, then the Soundex function is of no value.

edit: Re-read initial post, yes, obviously you were not asking to use soundex on the barcode but could be used against name fields.

edit: In your search form, you may have other relevant search parameters such as date allocated/issued/created etc. An option might be to only search in the last 30/60/90 days etc. Options are limitless.

Last edited:

Alhakeem1977

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:59
Yes, you are right.

May I should provide to the user only a form filtered with the files not received with a check box that the user will select the respective record.

I think it will be better than the user will type the four characters.

Thanks a lot for your usual support, any other ideas are welcome.

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:59
Yes, you are right.

May I should provide to the user only a form filtered with the files not received with a check box that the user will select the respective record.

I think it will be better than the user will type the four characters.

Thanks a lot for your usual support, any other ideas are welcome.

I can only speak generically as it's your database, you understand your business workflow, you know what the primary or main search fields are.

Having said that, whatever the main search fields are, use them. Even use the barcode if it's something the users refer to regularly.

Again, not knowing your workflow, providing a list of records for those not received makes sense, have that as an option, but probably not the only option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom