Nav Form not requerying a subform (1 Viewer)

chrisjames25

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:06
Hi

I have used access' built in navigation form.

Within the first tab of the nav form i have put a subform (subform1) that has a header with some filter comboboxes and in the detail section of the subform i have a further subform.

If i open the Subform 1 outside of the nav form and change the selection in the cbo the sub form requeries and filters information.

HOwever when i do this within the navigation form it does not work.

Any ideas.

HAve attached a screenshot of query and of the form.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 37
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 40

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Good to see you've made a lot of progress on this database.
IIRC the bad news is that the built in nav form can only handle one subform due to issues with referencing controls in subforms
I may be wrong about that but suggest you google this issue.
Also read the posts listed at the bottom of this thread which may be useful.

If my memory is correct, you may have to create your own form instead

chrisjames25

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Ridders

If i knew where the 'slow tear down my face' emoji was i would use it now ;)

Spent a good bit of time building that nav form to make it look pretty so hoping you may be wrong but so far with all your help you never have been.

Ill have a look at the links you mentioned.

Cheers

Chris

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I hope I'm wrong and, as I never use nav forms myself, perhaps all will be ok.;)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
To confirm Colins suggestion, I think you'll find the inbuilt Nav forms quite restricted.

The tabs are treated as sub forms, but more cunningly don't have the (sub)form source set until you select it. Hence you can't refer to anything on it as it's not actually there.

This has one obvious advantage that the form and therefore the data isn't loaded until you need it. But you need to know that in advance and plan accordingly.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:06
Spent a good bit of time building that nav form to make it look pretty so hoping you may be wrong but so far with all your help you never have been.
Maybe if you post your database + some description of the result you want ad where it goes wrong, (printscreens), someone here could get an idea for a solution.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:06
You might be able to get this to work by placing hidden controls on the main form. As an item is selected in the controlling subform, you copy the value to the main form. Then the other subform would refer to the controls on the main form rather than on the first subform. This is clunky at best and you will need to think carefully about how it should work and when controls should be cleared.

Otherwise, if you really do need multiple subforms loaded at once, you will need to abandon the navigation form and roll your own by using a main form with a tab control. It isn't very difficult to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom