Input from memo field on form appears as characters in table (1 Viewer)

terrytek

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:01
I have a memo field on the form. I type into this field sometimes, always in English. When I look at the table now, a few of the fields appear as I typed them, but many of them have what looks like a Chinese character followed by a symbol: ex. 됏 . The Chinese characters do not all look the same.

I tried the solutions here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/889490/contents-of-the-memo-field-may-appear-as-control-characters-when-you-u, but none of them worked. In fact, when I went to the underlying query and changed Group By to First, the field on the form now says #NAME and won't accept input.

Any idea how I can fix this? It's baffling me.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 19:01
In fact, when I went to the underlying query and changed Group By to First, the field on the form now says #NAME and won't accept input.

Any idea how I can fix this? It's baffling me.

The reason you are getting the #NAME error is because the name of your field has changed from FieldName to FirstOfFieldName (substitute the actual name of your field for FieldName. Delete the old field on the form and replace it with the new one and you should be good to go.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:01
also you will not be able to edit or add record when you Group your records,

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:01
Chinese characters often indicate corruption. Low level corruption is just a bad field, although you may find you have to delete and re-enter the record, which is a pain if its related to other tables.

Worse corruption starts giving you strange messages .... eg "the search key was not found in any record"

When you get this you may need to repopulate a new table by using append queries avoiding the bad records. You then have to delete existing relationships and re-create them with the repaired table.

You need to resolve asap, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom