Healthy Eyes (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:07
I will report regarding visual issues after my own cataract surgery, now scheduled for early August of this year.

A good friend of mine had his cataracts removed about 2 years ago. He reports both improved brightness and improved color delineation after the operation.

As far as glasses go, I've worn reading glasses since about 8th grade. To be able to remove the glasses (or get OTC readers and OTC sunglasses) would be a treat.

A side effect of cataracts in some cases (including mine) is extreme increases in light scattering inside the eye. It happens that I have a west-facing window in my office. In the afternoon, certain sun angles (that vary with season) leave me glare-blind in my left eye. I can actually feel it become useless because of the scatter. In fact, that is part of the determination of when it is time to harvest. There is some sort of light-scattering measurement that must be done with a complex piece of equipment. I believe my left eye measured out at 44% scattering the last time they did the measurement. (I could have misinterpreted what I heard, of course.)

After August, that should all change. I'll let you know.

DSerri

Local time
Today, 13:07
I work in my laptop on an average scale of 10-12 hours a day, and then do my browsing and reading on iPad before sleep. I've recently been having an eye strain, it is itchy and has red streaks in my affected eye. It occurs more frequent now than 6 months ago, is this dangerous?

The Grand Pooh-Bah

Registered User.
Local time
There is a doc that moved into town that claims he can fix your eyes without surgery.

Adam101

Registered User.
Local time
Here you all guys have a great talk on healthy eyes..and passed your great suggestions.
I must add something more in it the natural honey is the most beneficial and honey remove the all day dust from your eyes and makes your eyes cool and fresh.
Its a herbal formula for health eyes

readytogocable

Local time
Eyes are blessing of God and its a precious thing so we should care for it. Nice tips to make eyes healthy. Thank you everyone.

yupstrips01

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:37
Simple Tips for Healthy Eyes
Your eyes are an important part of your health. There are many things you can do to keep them healthy and make sure you are seeing your best. Follow these simple steps for maintaining healthy eyes well into your golden years.

Have a comprehensive dilated eye exam. You might think your vision is fine or that your eyes are healthy, but visiting your eye care professional for a comprehensive dilated eye exam is the only way to really be sure. When it comes to common vision problems, some people don’t realize they could see better with glasses or contact lenses. In addition, many common eye diseases such as glaucoma, diabetic eye disease and age-related macular degeneration often have no warning signs. A dilated eye exam is the only way to detect these diseases in their early stages.

During a comprehensive dilated eye exam, your eye care professional places drops in your eyes to dilate, or widen, the pupil to allow more light to enter the eye the same way an open door lets more light into a dark room. This enables your eye care professional to get a good look at the back of the eyes and examine them for any signs of damage or disease. Your eye care professional is the only one who can determine if your eyes are healthy and if you’re seeing your best.

Know your family’s eye health history. Talk to your family members about their eye health history. It’s important to know if anyone has been diagnosed with a disease or condition since many are hereditary. This will help to determine if you are at higher risk for developing an eye disease or condition.

Eat right to protect your sight. You’ve heard carrots are good for your eyes. But eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, particularly dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale, or collard greens is important for keeping your eyes healthy, too.i Research has also shown there are eye health benefits from eating fish high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, tuna, and halibut.

Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight or obese increases your risk of developing diabetes and other systemic conditions, which can lead to vision loss, such as diabetic eye disease or glaucoma. If you are having trouble maintaining a healthy weight, talk to your doctor.

Wear protective eyewear. Wear protective eyewear when playing sports or doing activities around the home. Protective eyewear includes safety glasses and goggles, safety shields, and eye guards specially designed to provide the correct protection for a certain activity. Most protective eyewear lenses are made of polycarbonate, which is 10 times stronger than other plastics. Many eye care providers sell protective eyewear, as do some sporting goods stores.

Quit smoking or never start. Smoking is as bad for your eyes as it is for the rest of your body. Research has linked smoking to an increased risk of developing age-related macular degeneration, cataract, and optic nerve damage, all of which can lead to blindness.ii,iii

Be cool and wear your shades. Sunglasses are a great fashion accessory, but their most important job is to protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. When purchasing sunglasses, look for ones that block out 99 to 100 percent of both UV-A and UV-B radiation.

Give your eyes a rest. If you spend a lot of time at the computer or focusing on any one thing, you sometimes forget to blink and your eyes can get fatigued. Try the 20-20-20 rule: Every 20 minutes, look away about 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds. This can help reduce eyestrain.

Clean your hands and your contact lensesproperly. To avoid the risk of infection, always wash your hands thoroughly before putting in or taking out your contact lenses. Make sure to disinfect contact lenses as instructed and replace them as appropriate.

Practice workplace eye safety. Employers are required to provide a safe work environment. When protective eyewear is required as a part of your job, make a habit of wearing the appropriate type at all times and encourage your coworkers to do the same.

tomjackman351

Local time
These are some very good tips to make your eyes healthy. The boy who wrote don't masturbate, has definitely adopted this habit.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Just a word of warning, here, and it's not facetious (for a change.)

There are some formulas out there (formulae?) that claim to be certified under the AREDS-2 standard. They aren't bad, but if you are sensitive to fish oil, you should know that most of the capsules involved provide the eye supplemental nutrients suspended in a fish-oil emulsion. IN PARTICULAR if you have liver or gall bladder sensitivity to oils or greases, that class of supplement is adding to your oil intake. My gastroenterologist took me off of the eye meds because they were killing my gall bladder.

BTW, my gall bladder and I have now parted ways. Me, I'm still alive and kicking. The gall bladder was doomed to a specimen jar.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I noticed that earlier I had posted about the "coming" cataract surgery but then didn't post a follow-up. I can now say with some authority that there is, indeed, a color sensitivity difference between my left and right eyes at the moment. The left eye is brighter and whiter than the right eye. That is because I'm still in the holding pattern for the right eye, but the left got done on schedule and it was pretty good.

The operation was painless. Weird but painless. Wore an eye patch for one day, then needed sunglasses for about a week. Never really had any pain except glare sensitivity for that week.

However, a couple of years ago, during the check for readiness of the right eye's cataract, I was diagnosed with form of macular degeneration. Did some research, and there are two general kinds. "Dry MD" is not treatable much, your vision just fades. But "Wet MD" is a family of conditions.

In my case, it was CNV (or sometimes CNRV) - Chorionic Neo-ReVascularization. In plain language, new blood vessel growth in the chorionic layer of the eye, which is the layer that supplies blood to the rods and cones from underneath them. CNV is treatable, but it ain't for the faint of heart.

You treat it like it was a cancer (but it isn't) by trying to stop blood vessel growth using a drug like Avastin, which has been used to shrink tumors. But here's where the fun comes in. You have to have it injected into your eyeball. To be honest, I wasn't so hot on that treatment but I didn't want to go blind so I said, Let's do it!

So... on the day of a treatment, you come in, they dilate your eyes to be able to take some retinal pictures. Then they put an antiseptic in your eye. You know what happens when you put an antiseptic on that part of your eye? It BURNS like a son-of-a-... gun. While it burns, they stick you with a needle supposedly about the size of a human hair to inject a surface anesthetic on the white (sclera) of the eye. Fifteen minutes later, your eye STILL burns like hell, but when they inject the real medicine, that part of your eyeball is now numb so you don't notice that. You're still stinging from the antiseptic.

I needed six treatments in the left eye, nothing needed in the right so far. The result is that I have two small spots that in poor light are black spots on the left eye, but in brighter light I can see OK. Despite the cataracts, the right eye is able to fill in nicely. Neither of the spots are in the fovea so I can actually still read print with my right eye closed.

As to my earlier warnings about the AREDS-2 formula, I finally have a brand that I can use as an eye supplement that does not involve fish oil. To avoid impropriety, I won't advertise it -but just read the label carefully and you will see whether fish oil is an ingredient. If it is there, it will be a large component by weight or volume so should appear early in the list.

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
I am now using progressive glasses. What I can suggest is never wash your face with cold water after you use computers for a long time. Allow resting first.

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
As we grow older, and more especially if we have committed a life time of work to on screen reading, our eyes begin to deteriorate. While this is natural, the degree of deterioration can be combated with a few simple exercises. Don’t worry you don’t need to leave your desk to do them. :D You should be taking regular breaks from your screen anyway, so you can break to do something positive for your health.

Clockwork

In this exercise you rotate your eyes around an imaginary clock, first clockwise then ant-clockwise. You look up and count to five, then right and count to five, down and count to five and finally left and count to five. Reverse the exercise. This exercise strengthens the muscles in the eyes, keeping them healthy. Try to do this a couple of times a day.

Far away

Sit and look at an object very close to you, focus on it so that you can see everything about it in focus. Once you have that focus, move your gaze to the furthest away point in the room, or even out of the window. Again focus on it so that you can see it clearly. This exercise strengthens the muscles of the eyes and trains the eye to focus on objects far and near, this is a great exercise for programmers. Repeat this exercise around four times a day.

Candle

This is an evening exercise. Light a candle in a darkened room and focus on the light from the candle, just allow your eyes to remain focused on the candle then, when you are ready, allow yourself to stare, unblinking until tears form in your eyes. This exercise can help combat dry eye syndrome which affects many ageing eyes. This exercise should be repeated at least once a week.

I hope these exercises will help some of you. At my last visit to the optician I was told my eyesight was the same as most 35 year olds. In other words, it’s not perfect, but I don’t need glasses yet. She agreed that exercising in this way has possibly helped my eyes remain healthy for more than 15 years longer. I hope they help you too.

Please be aware that this is personal experience and not medical advice. :)

Thank you for sharing this. I wonder if there's still hope for my eyes. I'm -320 now. Can't even recognize people outside when I don't wear contacts or eye glasses lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom