Operation must use an updatable query (1 Viewer)

SW_Engr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:13
My Access 2016 database works fine on my computer but on others it gets the error message "Operation must use an updatable query". The other computers are using the full version of Access 2016 or Access Runtime 2016.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:13
Hi. Can you specify the point where the error is happening?

SW_Engr

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately it happens randomly. It may appear early during a SQL INSERT INTO statement. Other times it gets way beyond this point and happens on a much later Similar statement. And yet again it may appear even later.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Are you saying the same SQL statement would sometimes work but sometimes not?

SW_Engr

Registered User.
Local time
That is correct. One time it will work but the next it might not. I do not get these errors on my computer but it happens on other computers.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
That is correct. One time it will work but the next it might not. I do not get these errors on my computer but it happens on other computers.
Sounds like maybe there's a timing or write conflict issue. Is this for a multi-user application? Is the copy on your machine also part of the multi-user database?

SW_Engr

Registered User.
Local time
It is for multi-user, but at this time it is only being used by single users as I am testing an upgrade version.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
It is for multi-user, but at this time it is only being used by single users as I am testing an upgrade version.
Hi. What I am trying to understand is if you and the other user are linked to the same backend file at the same time. Are you?

SW_Engr

Registered User.
Local time
We are not linked to the same back end at the same time.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
We are not linked to the same back end at the same time.
Well, that could be the problem. You say the problem does not happen with your machine, but you're not using the same backend as the other user having the problem. Try linking the frontend on your machine to the same backend as the other user and see if your copy still works as before.

SW_Engr

Registered User.
Local time
We are using the identical backend for testing.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
We are using the identical backend for testing.
That may be true, but I can't say if they're exactly the same or something is different. Not sure if you can tell either until you actually test it. If you don't want to test it by connecting to the live BE, maybe you could download a copy of the live BE and connect to it instead. Still, it won't provide the test environment of having multiple users hitting the same BE, where write conflicts could be happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom