Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > Excel

Old 08-13-2019, 06:04 AM   #1
kilroyscarnival
Newly Registered User

kilroyscarnival
Getting image in Excel header to center/fit as background letterhead

I was sent a problem sheet to try to fix it. It's a simple spreadsheet used as a rundown of fees, and apparently the user wanted our "second sheet" letterhead as a background. I'm attaching a snip of how it looks in Print Preview - with the letterhead image starting about .7 inch to the right of the edge of the paper.

I tried changing the margins, including dropping the header margin to 0, all margins to 0, moving the image from the center field of the header to the left one -- couldn't get it to extend into the corners. I finally gave up, printed it with no header graphic onto a page of the appropriate stationery, then scanned it, since it's being sent by PDF anyway.

Am I missing a control mechanism? By the way, I tried inserting the same image as "Insert Background" and it spread itself across the whole worksheet (not the print area), so that didn't work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Letterhead header in Excel.JPG (74.2 KB, 10 views)

kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,611 Times in 3,486 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Getting image in Excel header to center/fit as background letterhead

not sure which version of excel you are using or whether this will work for you, but for more recent versions go to page Layout>Print titles>Header/footer. There is an option for different first page
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
kilroyscarnival
Newly Registered User

kilroyscarnival
Re: Getting image in Excel header to center/fit as background letterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
not sure which version of excel you are using or whether this will work for you, but for more recent versions go to page Layout>Print titles>Header/footer. There is an option for different first page
Ah, I forgot to say -- it's Excel 2010. Yes, I do have those features, but though I did have hope for the check-boxes for "Scale with Document" and "Align with Page Margins," I tried those in every combination of on and off, and none of them re-aligned the background. I just tried making the background picture 9 x 12 inches, i.e. larger than the 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper size chosen, and that didn't shift it over either.

On the plus side, I've realized that it seems a bit of a fluke. None of these fee schedules I've worked with in the months I've been here has had a background, either realized or intended. So maybe it got put in there by mistake, with the user thinking it was just like Word. I hope it won't come up again until I've sorted it.

Thanks for your help! It gave me a few more things to try at least.

kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: