Inserting a Date Picker and a Calculated Field (1 Viewer)

HangoutGuy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:05
Good day,

I am in charge of creating a company-wide resource database which keeps track of employees, their projects, when projects are due and so on and so forth.

I would like to know if it is possible, and how to, add a date picker that would let me know that time left on a given project.

Lets say in the date picker I choose 8-12-2019. I would like for a list of projects to pop up with how many weeks are left. Lets say I have 50 projects in total, I want to know for all 50 how many weeks are left from a date picked by me.

I know how to do this in a query with the criteria data field, but my boss would like to have a simple date picker that would ultimately pop up and show the projects and the weeks left for each project.

Thanks!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to the forum! I am not sure I am following what you're trying to do. Are you saying you want to display a calendar and show in each date how many projects are left?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:05
you use this formula to as how many weeks remain.

DateDiff("ww", datePickerDate,[projectTargetDate])

HangoutGuy

Registered User.
Local time
Hi sorry for the poor articulation.

I would essentially like a drop down menu/calendar that I can click on a particular month and day and I would be shown the weeks left in all the projects.

For instance, If I were to choose 8/6/2019 from the calendar, the weeks left and name of project would be displayed.

If Project 1 had an end date of 8/13/2019 and Project 2 an end date of 8/20/2019, I would like a display that shows:

Project 1 -- 1 week
Project 2 -- 2 week

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi sorry for the poor articulation.

I would essentially like a drop down menu/calendar that I can click on a particular month and day and I would be shown the weeks left in all the projects.

For instance, If I were to choose 8/6/2019 from the calendar, the weeks left and name of project would be displayed.

If Project 1 had an end date of 8/13/2019 and Project 2 an end date of 8/20/2019, I would like a display that shows:

Project 1 -- 1 week
Project 2 -- 2 week
Hi. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, you should be able to use a query for that. Try using Arnel's suggestion and let us know how it goes.

HangoutGuy

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, you should be able to use a query for that. Try using Arnel's suggestion and let us know how it goes.

Hi. Yes I know about that formula and I have the query set up to do what I would like. What I want to know, though, is if I can for instance put a calendar UI of some sort onto a form that I can just click a date, have it run the query with that formula, and display the information.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Yes I know about that formula and I have the query set up to do what I would like. What I want to know, though, is if I can for instance put a calendar UI of some sort onto a form that I can just click a date, have it run the query with that formula, and display the information.
Ah, I see. Okay, take a look at some of the calendar demos available. You should be able to modify it to do what you want. But as I was saying earlier, which is what I thought you were asking, it wouldn't be too hard to simply display all that information on the calendar itself, so you won't really have to click and open anything because it's all displayed already. Try searching for an example of an appointment or events calendar.

HangoutGuy

Registered User.
Local time
Ah, I see. Okay, take a look at some of the calendar demos available. You should be able to modify it to do what you want. But as I was saying earlier, which is what I thought you were asking, it wouldn't be too hard to simply display all that information on the calendar itself, so you won't really have to click and open anything because it's all displayed already. Try searching for an example of an appointment or events calendar.

Do you have any recommendations or tutorials to look up? I've been struggling to find free tutorials/templates in regards to events planning.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Do you have any recommendations or tutorials to look up? I've been struggling to find free tutorials/templates in regards to events planning.
Have a look in here and let us know if you don't find anything useful.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:05
isladog has a professional looking calendar. search here "a better datepicker".

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Have a look in here and let us know if you don't find anything useful.
Here's an image of an appointment calendar I found here. You should be able to modify it to show remaining weeks per project instead of appointment times. Hope it helps...

Attachments

• project.PNG
    project.PNG
    54.4 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:05
Access has a built in calendar. If all you want is a date picker, I would use that. To use it on an UNBOUND control, you must set the format of the control to a date data type. Then choose the option to show date picker for dates on the control's property sheet - I think this option is on the format tab but I don't have Access open so I may be hallucinating.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 17:05
The built in date picker control works but has limitations. For example you cannot select a month or year other than by moving back/forward one month at a time. Fine if you need a month close to today's date. Not so if you want e.g. Jan 2010

The many alternative date pickers such as mine have been created to overcome such issues and/or to offer additional functionality

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:05
Colin,
Maybe you could make a deal with MS since yours is clearly superior :) I only suggested the built in function because it "works" and doesn't require any code and might be all the poster needs.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 17:05
Hi Pat
That made me laugh. There are lots of better date pickers/calendars out there which need minimal code. In my case, it needs one line.
However I also use the built-in date picker when it will do the job perfectly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom