#Type! in calculated fields of a form (1 Viewer)

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:16
I have a subform of some calculated fields that calculate date from other fields. I am getting "#Type!" error at the calculated fields. I did some searches and found that happens when trying to calculate different data types together, however, my fields to be calculated are all "NUMBER" data type. So, why I am getting this error please help, that error bring a big headache to me. Is there another reasons that cause "#Type!" to appear ? many thanks

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:16
Without seeing what you are using as control sources for the controls, I'm afraid we'll all need a crystal ball to guess what the problem might be.

What's the code / expression / formula being used?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 08:16
I have a rusty crystal ball, accurate about 75% of the time. It's telling me you are not working with all NUMBER data types. I bet you are using a function that is returning a string and you just assume its a number, because, well; it looks like numbers.

I'm going to parlay my bet and say specifically its Format doing the deed.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I'll get the glass polish out, it appears to be working :)

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
Without seeing what you are using as control sources for the controls, I'm afraid we'll all need a crystal ball to guess what the problem might be.

Some beautiful minds work like crystal ball with accurate 100% :). The calculated filed I use is

Code:
=IIf([txtRes]=5 And [txtTotal2]<50,[ScndCrseFrstAsses]+[ScndCrseScndAsses],Null)

Details;
txtRes is also a calculated filed based on a function and this function returns only numbers. the txtTotal is bound to a query field. ScndCrseFrstAsses and ScndCrseScndAsses are data entry field bound to a query and both are NUMBER data type.

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
This issue appears sometimes not all times, it happens when a user deletes date from the ScndCrseFrstAsses and ScndCrseScndAsses by the delete key

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
I have a rusty crystal ball, accurate about 75% of the time. It's telling me you are not working with all NUMBER data types. I bet you are using a function that is returning a string and you just assume its a number, because, well; it looks like numbers.

I'm going to parlay my bet and say specifically its Format doing the deed.
I have some functions, but they are all return numbers

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Are there any Null values in any of the underlying data?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:16
The correct way to diagnose this is to put a breakpoint in the sub-form's Form_Current event so that the code stops right there. Then open an immediate window. Then use the command Debug.Print on each item you are using that comes from a field in order to contribute to your computation. Do this one contributor at a time.

If the item in question is a number, you would see, for example:

Debug.Print [control]

but if it is text, you would see

Debug.Print [control]
"6"

Those quotes around the answer would tell you which element isn't what you think it is.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Try this

Code:
=IIf([txtRes]=5 And [txtTotal2]<50,Nz([ScndCrseFrstAsses],0)+Nz([ScndCrseScndAsses],0),Null)

AlefAelol

Registered User.
Local time
The correct way to diagnose this is to put a breakpoint in the sub-form's Form_Current event so that the code stops right there. Then open an immediate window. Then use the command Debug.Print on each item you are using that comes from a field in order to contribute to your computation. Do this one contributor at a time.

If the item in question is a number, you would see, for example:

Debug.Print [control]

but if it is text, you would see

Debug.Print [control]
"6"

Those quotes around the answer would tell you which element isn't what you think it is.
Many thanks, I will try your method to see what the wrong is

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom