Event Buttons Not Working All of a Sudden (1 Viewer)

learner2019

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:24
Are you importing to a new blank database?

Yes that is correct. The only thing is when importing the older backup of the database, when I try logging in after importing, it says I am missing a table named tblSecurity, but I don’t see that table listed under tables or queries. Do you think I should open the database I am having issues with and import the “security module” from the backup into the database I am having issues with and then rename that module because I’m sure if you import a module or whatever with the same name, it will append a “1” to the name. Would that work? I saw when I opened this module that the buttonclick() macro calls this module. Maybe something with the module is not executing? I also want to let you know this all happened when we upgraded in Microsoft Office to the latest service pack....could that have anything to do with it? The issues started right after we upgraded. We are using Office 365 professional.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:24
So, If you can import into a new blank database, then the shift bypass key should be enabled on it. Have you tried opening the new imported db while holding down the shift key. You can also try to import all that you can and see what happens.

learner2019

Registered User.
Local time
So, If you can import into a new blank database, then the shift bypass key should be enabled on it. Have you tried opening the new imported db while holding down the shift key. You can also try to import all that you can and see what happens.

I’m going to try that when I go in to work tomorrow. Would you anyway that whoever the creator of this was, could hide a table? I got that error message saying that tblSecurity couldn’t be found. This is not possible is it?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Do you think that someone wrote VBA to hide the macros until the login form has been logged into?

Which version of Access are you using NOW to work on this? Your answer will tell me what I need to know to answer your question definitively.

I know you said these are .MDB files, but the only thing that would or could have blocked macros from importing is something called User Level Security, and that is a fully-deprecated (i.e. no longer in use) feature. So ULS can't be your culprit unless you are still using a version of Access commensurate with the one used to create the .MDB file. If you are using Access later than Ac97, ULS absolutely won't work.

My sincere apologies

Don't worry about it. We are quite accustomed to having to reframe questions because our newest people don't yet feel comfortable with Access and don't fully "speak the language." Do NOT fret. Just understand that we might have to ask questions in a way that is somewhat alien to you. But trust me, I'm not green, don't live in Area 51, and don't have big slanted-almond shaped dark eyes.

I know that before, when I used to be able to login, when I did successfully login, I would be able to view 7 other macros

If you remember 7 macros but can only see one, you almost certainly have a corrupted file. That bit about three modules causing naming conflicts is further indication of corruption if it does that when you try to import into a new, empty .MDB file. The corruption probably occurred at about the same time that the buttons stopped working.

Do you have an older backup of that file originating from before the buttons went wacky? Because your problem sounds like it will be unrecoverable from that file alone. (I could be wrong... but I don't think I am.)

If you have older backups, you might be able to piece this app together again by selectively extracting the missing macros from older files and getting the data from the newer file. The "Import DB" dialog IS capable of being selective, so you might be able to do what you need with a good backup as the source for whatever you cannot retrieve from the new file.

BTW - if I am slow to respond sometimes, it is because right now my wife and I have grandson duty. It's a long story but the bottom line is, he is a handful sometimes. Great kid, smart and friendly, growing like a bloody weed - but sometimes a handful. Don't take my sluggish response personally.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I’m going to try that when I go in to work tomorrow. Would you anyway that whoever the creator of this was, could hide a table? I got that error message saying that tblSecurity couldn’t be found. This is not possible is it?
Hi. Yes, it's possible to sort of hide tables to detract potential unauthorized access to them.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Our friend Isladogs is the expert on hiding things. It is possible to hide tables in various ways. But on an old MDB that you are importing to a fresh MDB, the odds are very low that someone has done that. Not zero, but very low.

Again, it is possible that the file has become corrupt. An older backup copy would be really useful. Otherwise this might be a lost cause unless you can identify and locate the app's creator.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Or, if you can provide us with a copy of your db, we might be able to give you a hand with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom